NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fuzzies! And NGC891...

ollypenrice

A simple widefield of NGC891 surrounded by a nice assortment of faint fuzzies taken last night. TEC140 , 10x15 L and 6x10 colour. Atik 11000, Tak EM200. If you like fuzzyhunting the full size is here; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2803380950&k=KWb4K4P&lb=1&s=O

NGC891%20WIDE-XL.jpg

The main thrust of the processing was to have highly stretched faint fuzzies and main object while keeping star sizes down. This was done by using a specially stretched 'RGB only' starfield and a highly stretched LRGB pasted underneath in Ps.

Olly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very nice indeed, and so different from what we usually see with this galaxy shot. I always think you need to get in nice and close to the galaxys and have often thought I'd like to give this one a bash, yet felt there was no point due to it being so small in the frame. We all like galaxy frame fillers right? But you have shown a completely differnt way to look at them - For that I thank you!

Very nice superb starfield  have you any details or links on how to do that specially stretched RGB only starfield

This is a trick I concocted myself, though doubtless others have tried the idea as well. I don't have a video but I demo it regularly, not that it's difficult.

- Make a classic hard LRGB stretch to get the faint stuff to shine along with the stars, which will be too big to sit well with the little fuzzies.

- Use your 'RGB only' data to make a stretch with small stars and weak galaxies. From this stretch you want only 2 things, small colourful stars and a background sky identical to that of the main LRGB image. Use the colour sampler to ensure that this is so.

- Paste the RGB-small star image on top of the hard LRGB stretch then reduce its opacity to zero so you can't see it at all, but leave it active.

- Use a soft edged eraser to run over all the galaxies and faint fuzzies you can now see. Nothing will seem to change because you are erasing a layer that can't be seen. However, you are letting the bottom layer's hard stretched fuzzies through from the bottom.

- Restore the top layer's opacity to 100%. You now have top layer small stars and bottom layer stretched fuzzies and no boundaries provided the background skies in both images were identical.

I first tried th idea on this one; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-pnCj8TC/0/X3/NGC7331%20Quintet%2C%2010Hrs%20LRGB%20SRGB%20WEB-X3.jpg

You can't use the idea on stars set against nebulosity but it is good for galaxies set in wide starfields.

Olly

This is very nice indeed, and so different from what we usually see with this galaxy shot. I always think you need to get in nice and close to the galaxys and have often thought I'd like to give this one a bash, yet felt there was no point due to it being so small in the frame. We all like galaxy frame fillers right? But you have shown a completely differnt way to look at them - For that I thank you!

Cheers Sara. We collected a good set of close up data from Yves' scope as well that night but I like to hop around the focal lengths. Galaxies, I like to remind myself, are faraway things.

Olly

This is a trick I concocted myself, though doubtless others have tried the idea as well. I don't have a video but I demo it regularly, not that it's difficult.

- Make a classic hard LRGB stretch to get the faint stuff to shine along with the stars, which will be too big to sit well with the little fuzzies.

- Use your 'RGB only' data to make a stretch with small stars and weak galaxies. From this stretch you want only 2 things, small colourful stars and a background sky identical to that of the main LRGB image. Use the colour sampler to ensure that this is so.

- Paste the RGB-small star image on top of the hard LRGB stretch then reduce its opacity to zero so you can't see it at all, but leave it active.

- Use a soft edged eraser to run over all the galaxies and faint fuzzies you can now see. Nothing will seem to change because you are erasing a layer that can't be seen. However, you are letting the bottom layer's hard stretched fuzzies through from the bottom.

- Restore the top layer's opacity to 100%. You now have top layer small stars and bottom layer stretched fuzzies and no boundaries provided the background skies in both images were identical.

I first tried th idea on this one; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-pnCj8TC/0/X3/NGC7331%20Quintet%2C%2010Hrs%20LRGB%20SRGB%20WEB-X3.jpg

You can't use the idea on stars set against nebulosity but it is good for galaxies set in wide starfields.

Olly

Thanks for that Olly will be giving that a few test runs on old data I have and may even give it a go on my last target which I have yet to process,always useful to have another weapon in the armoury

A simple widefield...

We need more rules on this Forum...  

Rule 5.b.ii.  Image Descriptions:  The word 'simple' shall only be applied to single subframe images which have been subjected only to levels/histogram adjustment.  Flat and dark frames may be used.  Tracking errors, satellite trails, field curvature and gradients are to be encouraged. 

Seriously Olly, that's breathtaking.  Will be looking at this for ages I'm sure.

Great work,

Jack

Archived