Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A christmas time moon

geppetto

Thought I'd post one of this evening's moon shots through a lucky break in the mist.

All my dollhouse gear has been packed away so the table can be used for Christmas dinner so,

I've been forced to go outside scoping.... tough life but somebody has to do it :rolleyes:

Nikon D40 200mm F5 Newt 1/250th second ISO400 tweaked in Elements

xmasmoon.jpg

I love the colours in that image, what tweaks did you perform in Photoshop.

I really wanted to get out tonight when I saw the sky was clearing but by the time I got out of Tesco (joy) it was totally covered in cloud and the rain had started.

Damm this weather.

Cheers guys

Beamer, this is the method I use.

Have tried many ways of doing it but the surefire way assuming you use a DSLR is to

take the shot in RAW using a low ISO to keep the noise down.

Get the image well exposed just below where the whites clip.

Open the image with the Photoshop RAW plugin and set the saturation to max leaving

everything else as is..

Now pass the image to Photoshop proper and tweak the colour saturation to bring out the colour.

A tweak of levels and your done...

It's the first saturation tweak at the RAW plugin stage that is the magic key

HTH :rolleyes:

Got another round of images before it clouded over.

This one from a much higher moon and showing a better range of colour since it

was less affected by the atmosphere...

colmoon221207.jpg

Thanks for the tips on getting the image.

I managed to get a shot in between clouds but I shot in JPEG, single shot at 1/500 ISO 100 on my Canon 400D.

It is far from as colourful as yours, unless you know how to extract anything from this.

2848_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Two christmas crackers Phil, lovely images both.

Beamer, don't waste time with JPG files as the in-camera compression makes the processing much less useful. The RAW format images can be played with 'till the cows come home, but the compressed stuff can't be stretched nearly as much. Pushing the colour in your image (as posted) makes it very blocky and nothing useful can be extracted. This is down to the file format and not the imaging technique, once the image file is compressed there's no way back and a lot of good data is lost.

Kaptain Klevtsov

• 2 weeks later...

Archived