Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Average Budget astronomer

gazza63

HI all

Not everyone has large sum of money to spend on their dream telescope. So........

If you, were allowed only one telescope, what would it be? Taking into account, maneuverability, and a decent allrounder, and say anything up to a maximum of £400.

(not including eyepieces.)

Be interesting to see which, make....model....refractor or reflector comes up the most in the lower price range of you're average astronomer.

Cheers

Isn't this one of those deja vu topics ?

It is a bit but the allowance varies each time :smiley: 

My 12" dob didn't cost much more than £400 in total so I'd go with that if allowed. Otherwise I'd settle for an 8" F/6 Skywatcher dob and have enough change for a couple of Baader Classic Orthos.

As someone with an average budget myself, and crucially a decidedly average sized house with two very small sized twin children in residence, I'm going to go against the trend and say my little mak is the perfect scope for me.

I had to get rid of my old dob because I just didn't have room for it, plus I live in the city so a big aperture would just suck in more light pollution most nights anyway, so for planetary and lunar views on a budget the mak does me just fine, and it's not too shabby on some DSOs too if the conditions are favourable.

It does not surprise me that Dob's are the most on the list. Aperture is everything.

I am surprised that nobody has gone for an equatorial mounted scope, even without the tracking motors.

I don't know about others but personally I find finding and tracking things far easier with a dob than a manual EQ and the dob also removes the need to be a contortionist.

I'd take the biggest dob I could get on the budget but if I didn't drive it would the biggest rig I could carry on my bike.

I would definitely go for a SW 250px dob.

I myself have a small family, a small budget, and would like the biggest aperture I can get for my hard earned cash.

Now I just need to start saving every penny I can.

D.C

Archived