Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Newcastle upon Tyne!

dezzie

Recently bought a skywatcher mak127 goto, on the local club forums on facebook and did a starbeque at Derwent reservoir with the Sunderland Astronomy Club, omg my eyes were opened and found the whole experience great although it took a few pros to set my goto up properly and eventually I saw some decent stuff before the dew formed and my neck started to kill lol but I also had a chance to look at stuff with 10x50 binocs so after much research and reading I think I will sell the scope as I have arthritis in most of my joints and also to impatient to set the stuff up, besides on club nights others let you view stuff through there scopes so not much of a loss and also my step kids can probably get into it quicker if I keep things simple for all of us to enjoy, read your reviews on the helios 15x70s and fancy a pair of those instead, fingers crossed I sell my mak, I just seek the comfort of lounging back and soaking it all in without the stress of all the setting up and sore joints. Look forward to learning more on the binocular side of things, would love a pair of those massive sized ones but I think the 15x70s are more than enough till I learn my way around and maintain some sort of budget! :rolleyes:

Try and keep the Mak, it will allow more light grapping power. Did you use a diagonal? That reduces a cricked neck, but I understand your pain with the the arthritis.

15x70's would be good but they take some holding steady....as I like to say you have a pair of 70mm refractors in your hands. But good luck and welcome to SGL

Welcome to the forum. To have any amount of success in this hobby you need patience-lots of it, just take your time. I too suffer from arthritis and when the pain is too bad I sit down on my deckchair and use my bins until I can manage the telescope again.

Hi and welcome, sounds like a recliner would be helpful! Don't fall asleep though. I'm thinking if you're not investing in eyepieces, filters, dew equipment and countless other things you could invest in something padded, heated and maybe with IR massage built in :p Oh, and don't forget a cup holder.

cheers and good luck

Cheers for the welcome folks, just sold my mak to a lady starting out in astrophotography, so binos are the way forward for now, Ah the idea of a recliner with a heated home medics shiatsu massager running off my skywatcher power supply sounds bliss, good thinking!

Archived