NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Cerne Abbas in Dorset

kev100

Hello, I thought it was about time I stepped out of the darkness and said hello.

I've had a Skywatcher 130P for a couple of years now, until recently making do with the standard eyepieces, but I recently got a 32mm Revelation Astro eyepiece, and am considering replacing the 10 and 25mm Skywatcher EPs with Revelation ones.

I read a lot of good reviews of my scope, but it has to be said, I feel it's a little disappointing, and feel it may soon be time to upgrade. Whilst I've been awe struck by the experience of seeing Jupiter and Saturn, both lacked detail (apart from two fuzzy bands on the former). Detail in the moon is awesome, of course, but more distant objects, like Andromeda and the great cluster in Hercules, are both just fuzzy blobs. The Plieades and Orion Nebula are both awesome, though. Hopefully some better eyepieces will improve viewing/ picking up on detail. Oh, I spent the other evening collimating the scope with a Cheshire and Astrobaby's guide, (and much head scratching). I think I got it!

I've also got a pair of Celestron 20x80 binoculars, which I love, and use the most. They seem to give the best views of Andromeda, incidentally, and make finding my way around the sky easier.

Im pretty lucky not to have much light pollution, and to have a playing field across the road for viewing.

Anyway, next on my list of things to find are the whirlpool galaxy, pacman nebula, and the ring nebula.

Kev.

Welcome to SGL

I bought a Revelation eyepiece kit early on, including the 32mm plossl. Despite having a few rather more expensive eyepieces now I still keep that one around. It's quite handy to have.

James

Hi Kev,

Welcome to SGL from me to. The SW130P should give some nice views from darkest dorset and although I haven't had one of these there are quite a few in use by members of the forum. The 32mm should give some nice wide field views at 20x magnification and should comfortably swallow Andromeda for you, but you may not see much more than the bright core unless conditions are excellent - though the contrast may be improved a bit by flocking the tube and using a dew shield to limit stray light.

Nice dark spot up by the giant for the approaching clear winter nights.

Jake

Hi all, and thanks for the welcome. As I mentioned, I've had the Skywatcher for a couple of years now, and have been checking into the forum for advice/research on a regular basis. Felt it was about time to say hello.

With a wife, a young family and a day job, staying up into the early hours when the sky's at its darkest is usually out of the question, so I've not been seeing the best contrast. Really looking forward to the darker evenings when I can sit on top of Giant Hill with the binoculars (bit of a trek with the scope, though!).

Cheers,

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived