Howdy

Waxing Loon

Hi All, I decided to come here after seeing a poor review of an eyepiece set on Amazon and thinking maybe I needed to take my cues from experienced people not beginners like myself! So, firstly, anybody know why pressing enter doesn't start a new paragraph in this text box? I'm a bit [removed word] and like to present my written communications in an aesthetic manner. So the story so far is as follows: My wife bought me a telescope for my birthday as I'm generally a bit geeky and couldn't contain my boyish glee recently at a concert at Jodrell Bank Observatory where they perform next to the dish and project a light show onto it. The telescope I have is a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ. It's a refractor with a 900mm focal length and 2.8" aperture. It came with two stock eyepieces, 10mm and 20mm. I'm guessing these aren't Plossl as they are bog standard and don't say anything on them. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading up and trying to familiarise myself with the whole subject in the hope that when I go out on Tuesday night (Scope Nights best forecast) I will get more out of the experience than just randomly pointing at objects and expecting something spectacular. That's probably enough for a howdy post but no doubt you'll be seeing me popping up asking lots of questions in the near future and from what I've seen you seem like a helpful bunch so look forward to chatting.

Welcome to SGL

The problem where pressing enter doesn't start a new paragraph is perhaps down to you using IE10? You have to set it in compatibility mode or something. If you search the forum you'll find some other references that may provide more help. I'm not a Windows user if I can avoid it, so I'm afraid I can't help much more.

James

Hi, Waxing Loon, and a warm welcome to SGL from East Lancashire! If you haven't done already, I can recommend downloading the free planetarium 'Stellarium' which can be customised to your location and can be used to plan viewing sessions by showing what is available in the night sky (available here: http://stellarium.org/). Another suggestion is the book 'Turn Left at Orion' which many people on here have found useful as an introduction to star hopping. These might save you randomly pointing the scope and hoping for the best.

Hope that helps

Martin.

Hi All, I decided to come here after seeing a poor review of an eyepiece set on Amazon and thinking maybe I needed to take my cues from experienced people not beginners like myself! So, firstly, anybody know why pressing enter doesn't start a new paragraph in this text box? I'm a bit [removed word] and like to present my written communications in an aesthetic manner. ..........

Hi Waxing, Newbie to here myself. I found that putting the browser in to compatibility mode allowed for new paragraphs to be inserted for me. Its the small icon in the URL box of the IE browser which looks like a torn bit of paper. (hopefully my attachment works so show you diagrammatically :) )

post-31833-0-70627500-1378270601_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Archived