Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes follow the sagitta arrow one arrow length and there it is. Down and right of a pair of stars..yep about the same brightness as alpah sag so mag 4..

Nice

Glad our sun has not got 25000 times brighter!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Yes lucky it was clear last night. I didn't get the scope out, just looked with the bins. I would like to see how it changes over the following nights but no doubt it will be cloudy!

Glad you saw it - cloud here to. Would be nice to see it fade.

andrew

From one of the other threads on this, I think it is fading already. Pretty solid cloud at the moment though so possibly not much chance of comparative views tonight, unfortunately.

It is persisting down with rain and blowing a bit here in Dorset so no chance tonight :-(. Tomorrow looks more hopeful, if it hasn't faded too much by then.

Stu

yes - hope it's better for all of us tonight. Would be good to follow change.

I have been viewing the Nova for the past hour trying to estimate its magnitude. I have been using two scopes side by side - 6" Newt f5 with 13mm and 21mm Ethos and the 180mm Mak Cass f15 with a 38mm Panaview.

The two stars I have used as a comparison are 29 Vulpecula at 4.8 and Eta Sagitta at 5.05 mag. I believe the Nova is brighter than Eta Sagitta and about the same as 29 Vulpecula so tonight I estimate its 4.8.

Whilst viewing the Nova its good to view the PN NGC6905.

Hopefully the Nova will continue to be visible so that further estimates on its brightness can be made.

Mark

Managed to see it tonight through binoculars. It's quite easy to find by star hopping along from Sagitta. It will interesting to watch it fade over time, assuming the clouds stay away.

Is anything known about the stars involved ... How far away they are etc.

The two stars I have used as a comparison are 29 Vulpecula at 4.8 and Eta Sagitta at 5.05 mag. I believe the Nova is brighter than Eta Sagitta and about the same as 29 Vulpecula so tonight I estimate its 4.8.

Hi Mark thanks for the pointer to Eta Sag

Till you posted that I was trying to compare the nova to 29Vul,

and finding it a wee bit less bright, as I did last night, so I had assigned it in my notes as about 5.2 or 5.3 ! That demonstrates my inexperience with variables !!

So, anyway, yes, I do find it brighter (1amBST) than eta sig !

My question now is : is eta sig a standard candle ie. an AVVSO standard 5.05 ?

So very interesting trying to follow these various estimates, and a good insentive to get into variable star stuff (sorry bout that technical term ;( ) when this is all over !

Archived