SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Intergalactic Star Database????

Jiggy 67

A friend has recently paid for a star to be named after her deceased son (I know a scam perhaps)

She has been given a certificate and the star is designated under the Intergalactic Star Database as ISD 0165961. I can't find any reference to this database anywhere and suspect it is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Does anyone know of this database and how to find the star in a more recognisable catalogue. Apparently this star resides in Cassiopeia and is part of the open cluster M103

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well first and foremost it is not a scam, but no one "official" will ever recognise the name you've given the star.

Secondly, the ISD (of which I can't find a trace online) does appear to exist to stop these companies selling the same star to different people

As to finding the star in a reasonable catalogue, I think you may struggle. These stars are normally really faint is visible at all and not generally classified by formal bodies.

What documentation did they give you, maybe a star chart or similar?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The "intergalactic" nature is rather dubious. Stars in our gaaxy have been catalogued, but I have never heard of a systematic star catalogue covering other galaxies. Individual stars (in particular bright ones) in nearby galaxies have been studied (in particular Cepheids and the like for distance measurements), but I am not aware of any systematic scientific catalogue.

• Like 1

Its more of a gesture rather than a legal document, and not wanting to go down the route of ethics, if it helps your friend get over the sad loss of a child then why not ? after all the star will be there forever.

Edited by Pig
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...

I've just seen someone on facebook post an image of their certificate of a star named after them, recognised by the Intergalctic Star Database... Hopefully very few people sign up for this and fund these rip off merchants.

• Like 1

Well first and foremost it is not a scam, but no one "official" will ever recognise the name you've given the star.

Secondly, the ISD (of which I can't find a trace online) does appear to exist to stop these companies selling the same star to different people

As to finding the star in a reasonable catalogue, I think you may struggle. These stars are normally really faint is visible at all and not generally classified by formal bodies.

What documentation did they give you, maybe a star chart or similar?

So...this is a scam... Who do they think they are... Do they own the stars???? Totally incredible to me...

I would like to see their proof of ownership. You can only sell what you own

This is scavanger behaviour.  Making money with phony items over somebody else's misery.... disgusting 

Edited by Waldemar

I'm not keen on these star designators either.

Nothing illegal unfortunately, but carries no weight as far as the AU. Is concerned.

People go through this ritual, to show their love or affection for someone, a relative perhaps, or a dear friend who may have passed on.

The designated star may be fairly obscure, even if it is a Milky Way resident.

Anything purported to be intergalactic should be rejected, as it is very unlikely to be resolvable, unless a powerful telescope is employed. Even then, location of the star would be difficult to say the least. Coordinates for such a star would be to umpteen decimal places.

• 7 months later...
On 18/01/2016 at 20:18, Waldemar said:

So...this is a scam... Who do they think they are... Do they own the stars???? Totally incredible to me...

I would like to see their proof of ownership. You can only sell what you own

This is scavanger behaviour.  Making money with phony items over somebody else's misery.... disgusting

Sorry, had to say something....

Waldemar, have a look at yourself, please.  How is it a scam?  Do people genuinely believe they have bought a star?  Of course not.  Can you buy a star?  Of course not.  Does this give you any ownership rights of a star?  Of course not (he types, laughing out loud).  They are not selling stars, they are naming stars.  As most of the people on this thread have rightly stated, it's a gesture.  My daughter named a star for my wife and I on our 25th wedding anniversary and it made me cry.  A beautiful gesture that I will cherish forever and if we ever buy a (really, really, really) powerful telescope, we can have a look at it from time to time and smile.  I will also smile at your take on it all.... you just have to get out more mate.  

• Like 1

I don't see any of this so called star naming being anything but a scam :(  the so called certificates mean nothing at the end of the day.

Profiteers taking advantage - again :(

I know their are those around who don't want anyone speaking up about this on going practice, but it's time someone said something to highlight it for it really is.

Edited by Pippy
  • Like 2

Renters,  I dont think anyone questions the gesture, the thought, the love, the care, on the part of the family member doing the giving, what we do question is giving money to a complete stranger * who has no interest in you or your family.

Your daughter could have done all that, without throwing her money away, simply by showing you a star and calling it yours.

* yes a profiteer as Pippy rightly says as I am typing this.

Edited by SilverAstro

2 hours ago, Renters said:

Sorry, had to say something....

Waldemar, have a look at yourself, please.  How is it a scam?  Do people genuinely believe they have bought a star?  Of course not.  Can you buy a star?  Of course not.  Does this give you any ownership rights of a star?  Of course not (he types, laughing out loud).  They are not selling stars, they are naming stars.  As most of the people on this thread have rightly stated, it's a gesture.  My daughter named a star for my wife and I on our 25th wedding anniversary and it made me cry.  A beautiful gesture that I will cherish forever and if we ever buy a (really, really, really) powerful telescope, we can have a look at it from time to time and smile.  I will also smile at your take on it all.... you just have to get out more mate.  

I appreciate the thought and gesture behind that gift, but maybe it would carry more value if one would make a certificate themself...  some loving energy  and time would be put in it, instead of giving money to a conartist.

Maybe I have been out a bit more than you assume... Of course you cherish that gift from your loving daughter, but that was not the point I was making.

Waldemar

Edited by Waldemar

Nooo no-ones questioning the feelings and the wanting to give something important to a loved one, the thoughts are certainly there for sure, which means everything really !

It's just the money takers that are the problem.

Edited by Pippy

• 1 year later...

Hi all, 

Late comer to the conversation. 
I won't go into details however recently my cousin was given one of these certificates of a star named after our other cousin.
Needless to say, when I checked it out, the number they reference is a galaxy, not a star. 

Is it a scam? I suppose some will say yes, others, no.
I have a little saying which I believe is very apt in this scenario as I know we'll probably never see that 'star' however my cousin takes great comfort looking up knowing it's there. 

It is what it is... 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 05/02/2018 at 20:45, Redscouse said:

Hi all, 

Late comer to the conversation. 
I won't go into details however recently my cousin was given one of these certificates of a star named after our other cousin.
Needless to say, when I checked it out, the number they reference is a galaxy, not a star. 

Is it a scam? I suppose some will say yes, others, no.
I have a little saying which I believe is very apt in this scenario as I know we'll probably never see that 'star' however my cousin takes great comfort looking up knowing it's there. 

It is what it is... 

I've just got one today named a star after my grandad and got a galaxy ngc193. That is not what was asked for plus why cant we choose our own stars out of unnamed stars feel a fool for being taken in by this. Absolutely right its a con they need shutting down my sister tried to tell  me was a con she was spot on they promissed you would be able to see the star i've looked up that galaxy and there is no information about what is even there which star out of them billions in that galaxy is it? grrr i'm gonna kick right off about this. 

Here's the small print.

The intergalactic star database would like to state that although we take great pride in our product and service, it is sold as a novelty gift and scientific and astronomical institutes will continue to name and reference stars by numbers only. it is also possible other star naming companies could allocate a new name on your star. 

hahaha covering their asses saying novelty gift only but they not saying that when they selling it.  basically paying that money for this worthless certificate it means nothing at all. how many have they ripped with this and there's more of these star naming companies as well they saying there how dare they. how was the other stars like antares named if they only using numbers? 

4 hours ago, McPulsar said:

how was the other stars like antares named if they only using numbers? 

It was named before people started numbering stars. Even teh numbering systems are a horrendous mess (IMHO). Take your choice from Wikipedia:

"α Scorpii (Latinised to Alpha Scorpii) is the star's Bayer designation. Antares has the Flamsteed designation 21 Scorpii, as well as catalogue designations such as HR 6134 in the Bright Star Catalogue and HD 148478 in the Henry Draper Catalogue. As a prominent infrared source, it appears in the Two Micron All-Sky Survey catalogue as 2MASS J16292443-2625549 and the Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS) Sky Survey Atlas catalogue as IRAS 16262-2619. It is also catalogued as a double star WDS J16294-2626 and CCDM J16294-2626. Antares is a variable star and is listed in the General Catalogue of Variable Stars but as a Bayer-designated star it does not have a separate variable star designation.[16]"

On 05/07/2013 at 11:21, Jiggy 67 said:

how to find the star in a more recognisable catalogue

Does the certificate have a position (RA & DEC)? If so, it should not be too difficult to track it down and tell you (one or more of) it's official designation(s).