NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lonely Astronomers ?

astronymonkey

In my line of work, I am locked up in a small compartment with a colleague. I've done this now about 6000 times. With maybe 1500 different guys. Despite often being close to the dark night sky, it's more likely that my colleague will be playing Angry Birds on an iPad, rather than have a clue, or care a jot, about what's above.

So far I've come across three others that have some sort of telescope. It's usually in storage...

And when people come around my place, it's hard for anyone not to notice the huge contraption (~250 kgs of it) that is my telescope in the living room, and they marvel and usually ask where the light goes in.

So no luck here....

/Jesper

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of anyone I work with who owns one,but now I have mine a few people have asked if they can have a look sometime,a couple of them live rurally so I have suggested maybe I should take the scope to them

I was just wondering, is it just me - or are we few and far between?

I mean ..... when Im at work, despite having over 400 fellow employees I dont know any that are astronomers ..... and in general its not the sort of person you usually meet.

I guarantee I could speak to most of my workmates about football, but not one of them would have a clue if I started talking about the choice which has to be made between an Pentax XW and a Delos when trying to view the cassini division.

So I was wondering, has anyone happened to find out they work with a fellow astronomer who is an active observer/imager/etc, or has anyone moved into a new house only to find the following night that the neighbour is putting together a 22inch David Leukhurst Dodsonian on his patio for a nights viewing ?

Cheers

Same here mate!

I started with this hobby when I was about 6 or 7, now I'm 27 and still absolutely alone in Astronomy :)

I lived in 3 different countries and now in Rip Off Ireland and here it's even worse: the Irish are really friendly and lovely folks, but hooking up with them for something like the hobby of astronomy, it is just rocket science, it never happened and it will never happen even if there's a few hobbyists around :) People never answer on forums / phones / emails social networks and so on and easily disappear from real life with nonchalance. And let's not talk about purchasing photography / astronomy equipment: you'd feel very lonely here and the few times you would be able to find anything you need, you'd surely feel frustrated by the "customer service" and by the absolute rip off.

In my company 4000 people have seen my pictures of Saturn and Jupiter and 1 only guy expressed interest as he likes science documentaries :)

I have a lovely job here but in the past months I have been investigating on the possibility to be transferred to the UK because since I've been in this forum I strongly believe that sharing this hobby with some live people and also virtually like now in SGL (or even just purchasing the lens / scopes / cameras I need) is gonna be slightly easier within the UK. Or else I'll just keep enjoying the skies on my own and talking to myself about how cool all this is :)

Oh yes, no issues with anyone when talking about politics, economy, food or even better about sports like football, pint lifting etc.etc. ;)

Clear Skies

I forgot to mention that the most interesting conversations (outside of SGL of course) have been with my 91 years old grandpa who knows the constellations very well and a lot of ancient stories about them because at the age of 5 he had to take care of the cattle all night (barefoot) in the mountains of the island of Sardinia :) And my 10 years old niece who started reading science books on her own since she was 7 :) But now they are far away from me and can't share the hobby with them.

I know few people outside SGL that are into astronomy.

About 10 years ago I had reason to call a guy called Grant about doing some work for the company I worked for at the time. After a number of calls and getting on quite well with him I mentioned astronomy in passing, that Grant is our Grant here - the guy that keeps the forum working!

Strange how things work out!

Ant

I have only met fellow astronomers at the local astronomy society and I don't really know them that well. I have had an interest in astronomy since I was in my early teens but again there was no one really with whom I could discuss things. In work at least there was someone who was sporting enough to attend a star party with me but that was about it. So yes it is a very lonely passion to be engaged in!

I only have 1 friend who is interesting in Astronomy and has his own telescope. But getting him to come outside on a cold night is practically impossible, so im on my own mostly apart from the odd Astro club meeting.

No one i know at work is interested, they show interest when i show them a picture ive taken etc, but none that actually do Astronomy. Its a shame really.

I know of 3 people that and are into astronomy; a mates dad, my parents neighbour and somebody I work with.

I find that people tend to discuss what they watched on TV last night, or what has been happening in the sport they watch, more than their hobbies. It might well be that more of the people i know are into astronomy but just don't talk about it.

Maybe i'm the exception in that I won't shut up about my various hobbies :grin:. Having said that, by doing that i've got a couple of people into a few - a couple of mates joined me go-karting until we all got mortgages, 1 took up painting warhammer characters and i've got a couple of people into photography.

Sadly i've not converted anyone to this hobby as yet.

Lucky to have a local Astro. Soc. Even more so to have an Astronomer 5min away to give me a LIFT to meetings. :)

Some of my neighbours seem quite interested? As ever the majority overtly / subtly pour scorn on "Nerdy stuff"... :p

I don't know if it has always been thus and I just notice it more now or if I'm just being uncharitable, but there do seem to be an awful lot of people who are content to be mere "observers" (and not of the astronomical variety) in life. Obviously not everyone can be into astronomy, but sometimes I do feel as if some people aren't interested in anything that doesn't come via the television or youtube. It's as though their lives have become almost totally passive. Clearly that's not everyone -- there are all sorts of people who actually go out and do all sorts of things, but equally I know of people who spend almost half their waking hours sat in front of the television. For me that would be like giving up living.

As I get older I'm finding that I don't want to have conversations with people about how "their" football team is doing, or who won the GP (car or motorbike). I'd far rather they went out and played the game, or raced cars, or motorbikes or just damn well did something interesting enough to talk about.

Hah! I can tell it's nearly time to go on holiday. I'm getting (even more) grumpy :D

James

Lucky to have a local Astro. Soc. Even more so to have an Astronomer 5min away to give me a LIFT to meetings. :)

Some of my neighbours seem quite interested? As ever the majority overtly / subtly pour scorn on "Nerdy stuff"... :p

You want a satellite tracking dish in your garden.

When I had mine a few years back my then neighbour said it always followed her

when she went into the garden.

I never told her that it was'nt. :evil:

It was a guy I work with that actually re-sparked my interest in astronomy from childhood, he had an OO Newtonian, it was the first time I had ever seen a scope like it and after realizing that I could afford such an instrument I very quickly went out and bought one.

The strangest meeting I have ever had with a fellow astronomer was a guy that delivered oil to my house 2 years back, I was not there when he was delivering the oil but he spotted my newt in my porch and rang me that evening to chat about astronomy, we ended chatting for over an hour on the phone. Looking back now I don't think he knew too many other astronomers either.

Its an odd thing - I work in a company of about 600 people and since a few started to know I'm into astronomy I regularly get people come up and engage in astro conversation - I've even taken a few of them out with me into the Mountains in Brecon to show them what a dark sky is all about. What I've found is that lots of people have an interest in astronomy but not so many of them will invest in either the time or money to get even a little more serious about it.

I have been into and out of the hobby a few times, and have a friend overseas who is a casual Observer, but other than Ted, I have not met other amateur Astronomers until recently, when I got back into the hobby upon retirement. Over the years It has been a "go it alone" interest. After relocating here to the UK, I discovered The Cardiff Astronomical Society, SGL, and the South Wales Group, where I've met some kindred spirits.

:smile:

The good news is that as an amateur (lonely) astronomer, with options to attend astro club meets, out reach events and star parties, you can choose to be as gregarious, or as solitary and everything in-between, as you want.

Well I was at a work dinner last night and they could not understand why I had just bought a pair of binoculars when I had a telescope. I was just stunned by that. For me it will be very portable and from what I have learnt I can see more of the stars with them as well. They just truly did not understand things :rolleyes2::icon_pale:

I work in a technology company with about 50 people. One who was just about to retire turned out to be a budding astronomer and bought my old kit to use in his expanding leasure time. I know of two others in the company who own scopes and use them occasionally, and another one who is very interested in my photos and how I obtain them.

In the local area I'm a few miles away from Dion (Astronomy shed), and I know of a few people in the local area who are keen astronomers. Oh, and I can see a telescope in the conservatory of a house across the estate, but I've not introduced myself yet.

Still feels a bit lonely when its just you and the kit pulling in the subs!

For what it's worth.. I think that astronomy is like death... To embrace astronomy is like accepting mortality. Most people are happy not to look up. The ideas and concepts it suggests are so challenging that they deny it and are content to worry and busy themselves about mundane things. yes a fear of astronomy. denial of death and denial of the great cosmos. No one understands the universe but accepting it's pressence is too great a step for most people. Don't worry about them. just step over them.

Sorry to ramble on

Steve

I dont agree with that. It may be that for a few but not many imo. For most its just not there interest. I like Astronomy, but my best friend likes Motorbikes. He has as little interest is going out and looking at the stars as i do watching motorbike racing or going to shows.

Archived