NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solarscope filter testing

Montana

This weekend was very busy for me, both Saturday and Sunday were glorious sunny days and I spent the whole two days testing filters. I filled the hard drive completely and I have been slowly working through the images but I have plenty more to look at. However I think I have most of the nice ones together now.

First off I will show you a full disc taken on the Saturday with a Solarscope SF-70. This turned out to be far better than I expected and I think it is a cracking little filter for the money and how much detail you can squeeze out of it, but then I guess you know that already with Pete Lawrence's fabulous images. This is the single stack though.

B&W

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Colour

http://www.flickr.co...724768/sizes/o/

and some nice prominences

8853362765_040e1d0c5f_b.jpg

2013-05-25 Prominences SF-70 by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

Next the SF-100 (single stack)

8855176183_9600ae0893_b.jpg

2013-05-26 09-29-01 f colour by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

AR11756 single stack (SF-100)

8856216850_628146e2a6_b.jpg

2013-05-26 09-36-38 SF-100 by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

AR11756 double stack (DSF-100) with C3 flare in progress.

8855643775_77ae019b1a_b.jpg

2013-05-26 11-04-59 DSF-100 C3 class by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

and a 6 frame animation of this flare

8856624292_0182760c41_o.gif

2013-05-26-AR11756 animation by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

I also caught a C2 flare in AR1175 on the Saturday as well, this was taken with the SF-100

8845035848_f033e2f605_b.jpg

2013-05-25 11-48-39 f colour by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

and of course, what I most wanted to try out was achieving a full disc with the DSF-100, I managed it finally on the Sunday. I have found that working a double stack is the hardest thing I have ever done. It is a bit of a beast to get on band and working optimally, but I think I have cracked it at last. However it seems to only like perfect cloud free warm days to work well. I'm praying for a hot summer!

Here is the result

B&W

colour version

Thanks for reading to the end and I hope you liked the pictures, however I can tell you that my photos do not do justice to the views you get with the eyeball!

Alexandra

Very fine detail Alexandra. Looks like your full disc in one hit is working well and the close ups are superb. The Solarscope filters really do work well.

I suffered a hard disc failure on Monday morning whilst trying to process Saturn so have lost all of my originals and work in progress from the last 3 months. Fortunately any I have published are saved on my website, but it means I cant go back and re-process any taken recently.

Robin

Those are amazing Alexandra :icon_salut:

I ordered an SF70 (single stack) following a chat with Ken at IAS - should be with me in a couple of weeks :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: I'm doing a project on the solar cycle for University so hoping to get some good data over the summer.

Helen

Many thanks :)

Robin, that sounds distressing!

Helen, that's great news, you certainly won't be disappointed! the project sounds really interesting too, if I can help in any way I would be more than happy.

Alexandra

Fantastic results Alexandra and the full disc is stunning! You're right in that a double-stack can be quite hard to get on-band and it does take a while to get with it. However, it looks as if you've mastered it beautifully. Cloud haze will affect things too so let's hope for some decent weather over the summer (yeah, right!!).

Pete

Thanks everyone :) I am so pleased everyone likes the pictures. I am at last happy with the double stack, it's like conquering Mount Everest :)

Someone gave me a good Photoshop trick to bring out the proms more on the full disc as they are there, just not very bright. I was quite pleased with the technique after a try last night so I am sure I will be tinkering with the full disc a bit over the coming weeks. Hopefully (if you believe weathermen) I might have another go at the doublestack on Saturday, let's hope I can reproduce the results.

Alexandra

Archived