Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To go flextube or rigid?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - Im looking to buy a 250px Dob as my starter scope. Ive got reasonably dark rural skies with low LP. Im unsure which would be the best scope between the flextube or the rigid version. Id certainly appreciate some advice and experiences from users of each - with some pro's and con's if possible? Thanks in advance - as Im going round in circles !

Cheers

Jase

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I am the expert from experience, but I would also assume the flextube is handy if you want to put in the back of a small car, or you got storage concerns as the OTA can be made short and compact to fit in smaller spaces. I've got a Ford KA so when travelling to a dark site it would be a useful thing.

Not that it matters, but something looks sexy about the flextube design, or perhaps that is my fetish :D

I saw this not often seen edition of the 8 inch dob

http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/dobsonians/flextube-200.html

It looks so cool I think, although common in GOTO, the manual one seems harder to find in the 8 inch aperture size. Probably it would be my next dream scope in the future, instead of the solid 8 inch, not that I in a rush to buy anything, still so much to be done with a small scope for me, I've hardly started :)

I have had a 12" solid and currently have a 12" flex. The soolid went mainly because swmbo objected greatly to " that blumming human cannonball thing" in the corner. She doesn't mind the flex at all as it folds down and fits neatly and unobtrusively in between tv and pc. He has earned the knickname of R2D2.

From a viewing perspective it has got more useage. Apart from having to seperate base from tube which is easy, it is just far easier to carry a folded down flex over a solid tube.

Overall the flex gets the thumbs up from me as it suits my circumstances.

Personally I'm going for a solid tube as I like the look of them (seem more sturdy) go for the biggest u can get & manage to move about that way if your other half (assuming u have one) objects, you can take it away & live in it!!

Steve

My first dob was a 12 inch solid tube Skywatcher that we bought for home use only. The trouble was, it was so awesome, that we then wanted to take it to star parties, but it wouldn't fit in the boot. So we bought a 12 inch flextube, that was also fantastic and could be taken to star parties.

It seemed daft to have two dobs of the same size, so we sold the solid tube (what a great pair of bins that would have made!)

After a while, we started to miss the solid tube. The flextube is not that much hassle at all, but the solid tube was virtually no hassle at all (other than the usual cool down time with dobs). We eventually admitted defeat and bought a 10 inch solid tube, and I vowed never to be without a solid tube again!

As said, a flextube is not that much hassle, but when you're tired or the forecast is iffy, the less hassle your scope is, the more likely you are to pop it outside I find. The downsides of the solid tube for me are that it is taller when stored, and it is less portable. The plusses are that it needs no shroud, it does not need extending and holds collimation very well, so it is less time to set up. With the flextube, I had to collimate every time (though some people seem to have the knack of getting it back in the same place and avoiding having to collimate every time).

If you are pretty sure you don't need the portability and you don't mind the height of it when stored, then for me it is a solid tube every time. I've had two flextubes and love them as well, great for the portability. I have been impressed by the optics on all three Skywatcher dobs I've had considering their price.

Hi Jase...I HAD a ten inch Dob ( no longer sadly) and as I struggled to carry it in and out of the house each session, I quite often wished for a Flexy...If I go 'DOB' again it will be a Flexy...

I have had a 12" solid and currently have a 12" flex. The soolid went mainly because swmbo objected greatly to " that blumming human cannonball thing" in the corner. She doesn't mind the flex at all as it folds down and fits neatly and unobtrusively in between tv and pc. He has earned the knickname of R2D2.

From a viewing perspective it has got more useage. Apart from having to seperate base from tube which is easy, it is just far easier to carry a folded down flex over a solid tube.

Overall the flex gets the thumbs up from me as it suits my circumstances.

I have the solid tube 12 inch bought from another member posting on this thread. :wink:

Storage for me is not a problem so the wife does not complain. If you have the space to store it and the means to transport it then the solid tube is great.

I have the solid tube 12 inch bought from another member posting on this thread. :wink:

Storage for me is not a problem so the wife does not complain. If you have the space to store it and the means to transport it then the solid tube is great.

i would agree with this. Depends on a lot of things though and I would remind Jase that things to consider are storage, transportation including a persons ability to lug a solid tube around, cost. There may be others but I think these are the main ones. (Waits to be corrected heh) The op states he has decent skies so transprtation might not be that big an issue. Also not sure on the weight and size of a 10" so again this needs looking into as a consideration.

So despite all the advice Jase, think you need to be asking more questions of yourself and partner (if indeed you have one).

Hth. Steve

So despite all the advice Jase, think you need to be asking more questions of yourself and partner (if indeed you have one).

In a nutshell!

Where's it going to live? Where are you going to observe from? What does the other half think? :grin:

I have an 8" that is referred to as the rocket on a regular occurrence.

Cheers

If storage wasn't a problem I would go for the solid tube 250. The solid tube is 112 cm long the flex tube 80 cm so not a lot in it. Sky watcher say each tubes have the same weight although the flex tube seemed heaver when I lifted it. But that could have been because it was a more compact weight to lift.

The skywatcher 250 px solid tube is a very popular scope for many reasons also cheaper than the flex tube.

i have the 250px flex would not swop it for the world very compact when not in use and easily transportable say to a dark site easily separates to carry in two sections the only down side is it needs collimating before use but not often do i need to adjust the secondary even with a flex mostly just the primary mirror overall a cracking bit of kit

Flexi and truss ota's can be a pain. Whatever you do much more muck lands on the primary mirror , which is tucked safely down the far end in a solid tube.

However for transport and storage they're useful. Collimation may also have to be tweeked more often. You'll find Skywatcher ota's tremendously heavy compared to Orion Optics ota's, if lifting and carrying is your problem,

Nick.

The solid tube is 112 cm long the flex tube 80 cm so not a lot in it.

Depends what your doing with it, for example if your chucking (not literally) in the back of a car and how big your car is!

The skywatcher 250 px solid tube is a very popular scope for many reasons also cheaper than the flex tube.

Almost always one of the main considerations but don't let this cloud your judgement.

As already said by myself and others, lots of things to consider, so don't rush into it like some do (myself included :grin: ) and make the wrong decision. I think that maybe a visit to a astro shop might be advantageous as you are talking about spending a not inconsiderable amount of your dosh!!

I was fortunate in that despite me having 2 scopes before finding my ideal one, I got back what I paid for them as they were secondhand. You wont be as lucky if you buy new..............

I went for a 12" flextube, but this was because I wanted to transport it and never (nor will ever) use it at home. In fact where I live, I find observing almost anything becomes less appealing each time I have to.

However, as you have indicated, your skies are quite free of local light pollution and as almost everyone has mentioned - you have storage provision, then really there is no need for a 10" or 12" flex.

Wow - many thanks for the replies and advice. Storage isnt a problem and Im hoping to build an Obsy in the garden eventually. Id read that the flexy's hold collimation well - but It would be a pain having to do it every session. The trouble with living is darkest Cumbria ( despite the great skies) is that we're a good 2 hr drive from any stockists to have a look/try out for weight and size. As an aside, my swmbo wont object at all - as she has more than enough clutter and 2 cats that get in my way!

Cheers again and will post a pic of my choice when I finally take the plunge.

Look forward to learning as to what you go for. Just a footnote on the flextube, it does tend to hold collimation quite well, the three struts lock very firmly in supporting the UTA and if kept in this position ought not require frequent collimation adjustment (not that this is much of an issue anyhow).

Your location sounds great, one other advantage a flextube may have is if you ever get tempted to go along to any local,such as the Cumbria star party, so should transport easy.

Maybe I can add something before you make a choice Jase. I can only give my experience from one side as I've never handled a solid tube but I've been using the 250px flextube for about 18 months.

1. It's heavy - 32kg fully assembled (this is the GOTO version though). I believe the solid is lighter than the flex as standard but I forget how they compare.
  2. It's easier to carry when it's collapsed as it changes the centre of gravity - so a solid may be more awkward to carry assembled.
  3. It separates in seconds for transport and re-assembly is equally quick and definitely only ever a one man job.
  4. It fits perfectly on the back seat of my Focus when separated - OTA on one side, base on the other and held in place by the seatbelts.
  5. Collimation isn't a dark art but you will need to be competent at it as it will need regular checking and minor tweaking.
  6. The collapsed flextube is very discreet when not in use and looks just like a 'thermocapsulary dehousing assister' or R2D2 as Baz said :D
  7. You really do need a shroud of some sort with the flextube. Contrast is greatly improved with one and dew on the secondary is reduced. I started with a camping mat and velcro solution that was really cheap and effective but I just upgraded to the astrozap for looks and convenience.
  8. Not sure about the increase in dirt on the primary - so far mine isn't any worse than my old 150p on an EQ3-2. But it is definitely a risk and you need to take care (probably no more than any other scope?) to keep the covers on. I feel a lot happier having the shroud in place the whole time I must admit.

And finally - someone probably already said it - try and get to an astronomy shop or star party and take a look. You might be surprised/scared/excited :) about how big they are when you see them up close. Whatever you choose visitors to your house will always be impressed!

Hope to see what you get soon :)

Archived