Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81L

Freddie

gallery_7987_2089_53027.jpg

~180 mins total mainly in 10min subs but also ~60 mins of 1, 3 and 5min subs taken while testing my OAG. Stacked in DSS then PS

Lost my way a bit with the processing as the core is over done. Will need another go before I add the Ha RGB I have yet to process.

Looking good Freddie!

Looks like you've done some high pass sharpening (or deconvolution, or something else) that has brought in some dark halos around the stars. If you add a star mask to protect the stars then that should fix it!

Nice work though - big fan of M81!

That is wonderful. I can't wait to see the final full colour version; not that it really needs anything else. It stands up well just on its own.

I am getting very jealous of peoples clear skies. I haven't had the scope out for 11 days!

Thanks for all your comments.

Well spotted "X6gas" it was a high pass filter too far!! As I say, I was getting a bit lost during the processing and by the time I realised it was a few steps after the high pass so a bit late to go back. Didn't think it showed too badly at this scale so well spotted. I now have another version which I'll use with the HaRGB.

Thanks for all your comments.

Well spotted "X6gas" it was a high pass filter too far!! As I say, I was getting a bit lost during the processing and by the time I realised it was a few steps after the high pass so a bit late to go back. Didn't think it showed too badly at this scale so well spotted. I now have another version which I'll use with the HaRGB.

Ha! It's definitely not too bad mate - and your image is really nice and sharp. It's those two bright stars in the galaxy at roughly six o'clock in your image that give the game away a little bit - as you know I've recently attempted this target and I had plenty of trouble with those! There is something a bit soft about my image but yours looks like the making of a fantastic luminance layer...

I've taken to saving my processing at ridiculously frequent intervals, but then I'm still a learner driver and I never know what stage I need to go back to. I needed quite a creative star mask to sort the halos but it can be done.

Terrific image though. You should be well pleased with that :smiley: .

Could take it down a notch with Guassian Blur that might work, if i use the High Pass filter i tend to pull the slider back a bit & apply then do another smaller iteration but select Soft Light.

I'm not teaching you howe to suck egg's Freddie as you have probably used PS a lot more than me to date.

Good luck though even though weather is terrible & i look forward to seeing your M81 finished.

Archived