Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 Bode's Nebula (Galaxy) L and LRGB

x6gas

I've been working away processing the data that I captured for M81 - Bode's Nebula. I had trouble with the colour for this; the colour was very subtle and so I had to increase the saturation quite a bit which brought out some gradient that I had to kill with GradientXterminator.

Anyway, I am including the L image and a couple of processes of the colour - things that look okay on my laptop look awful on my work monitor so as ever I'd welcome any comments.

Scope: Celestron EdgeHD 11 with Optec Lepus 0.62 focal reducer.

Cameras: Atik 460 ex (L); Atik 490ex (RGB)

Mount: CGEM DX

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD

Data: L = 60 x 300s (1x1); R = 24 x 100s (binned 3x3); G = 24 x 125s (binned 3x3); B = 24 x 150s (binned 3x3).

gallery_11821_2478_136192.png

Heavier stretch of the luminance

gallery_11821_2478_53098.png

gallery_11821_2478_160029.png

gallery_11821_2478_19118.png

Thanks for looking!

Ian

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Ian, much better than my own efforts with a C11Edge and Canon 600d. Just having a go at M81, M82 & NGC3077 with a 8" F4 Quattro as I write this, hope they come out half as good as your pics.

Robin

Thanks all - quite a lot of love went into this one, but I'm not happy with the colour.

You have captured some amazing detail there for sure! I like the golden core but find the image has a little too much green and needs more blue in the spiral arms.

Yes I'd like to see the blues coming through more strongly in the spiral arms.

I'm really not sure what is going on with the colour for this image. I captured M51 earlier in the month and used the same formula to capture the RGB and the colours just popped straight out. But with this one, while the individual channels look OK, when combined there just isn't much strength in the colour. :icon_scratch:

Here's the combined RGB subs with no luminance and no increase in saturation:

post-11821-0-74445300-1368268302_thumb.p

I also get a whopping great colour gradient with blue in one corner and red in the opposite. In sorting it out I lost a lot of the star colour so I will be going back again to see what I can do.

Hi Ian,

I hope you don't mind me having a quick go at your RGB image. There seems to be loads of great colour there!

From my very limited experienced, M51 is easier and more dramatic in terms on colour than M81,

E.

post-25876-0-08592000-1368280620_thumb.p

Hi Ian,

I hope you don't mind me having a quick go at your RGB image. There seems to be loads of great colour there!

From my very limited experienced, M51 is easier and more dramatic in terms on colour than M81,

E.

post-25876-0-08592000-1368280620_thumb.p

Nice, and absolutely don't mind at all! You've obviously teased the colour out - so what's the secret? Any pointers?

Nice, and absolutely don't mind at all! You've obviously teased the colour out - so what's the secret? Any pointers?

No secrets really. I used the colour module in Star Tools which is quite versatile. The module is designed to mimic the various techniques in PS to bump up color. Besides been able to adjust the R:G:B ratios it has two convenient sliders to adjust top and bottom end saturation. It can also be used with masks, so you can apply color variations locally,

cheers

E.

No secrets really. I used the colour module in Star Tools which is quite versatile. The module is designed to mimic the various techniques in PS to bump up color. Besides been able to adjust the R:G:B ratios it has two convenient sliders to adjust top and bottom end saturation. It can also be used with masks, so you can apply color variations locally,

cheers

E.

Ah - thanks for that. I have Star Tools, but haven't managed to get on with it very well. Clearly worth trying again!

Cracking work Ian....sharp enough to cut yourself on!

Starting to regret selling my edge 11 now that there are some usable reducers for it.....together with the RC, it would have made a cracking dual rig!

Rob

Thanks so much Steve, Gina, Rob, and Freddie.

Actually, I've been back to Steve's book (always something more to take from it) and re-done the colour. I was a bit stricter with the subs I used - lowering to 22 for the RGB. I also used a different stacking routine. Not sure what's helped, but I seem to have managed to preserve a bit more of the star colour in this version...

gallery_11821_2478_206892.png

Archived