SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 Bode's Nebula (Galaxy) L and LRGB

x6gas

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a go at reprocessing the luminance for this to make the spiral arms a bit softer... I'm not sure if it's better or not!

gallery_11821_2478_297583.png

and this one with added spikes, basically for the sake of it!

gallery_11821_2478_353663.png

I think the latest version (without spikes) is the most natural looking one, however the golden core was very appealing,

E.

I agree Epicycle.

However, I've decided I need more luminance data on this - or in fact might redo the luminance altogether.

I have some odd star shapes and think that there was some tilt arising from the focal reducer. I haven't noticed this before - not that I've used it a lot - so I'm hoping it was just that I didn't have the imaging train square rather than an inherent problem with the Optec.

That's a fantastic set of data. The luminence is stunning and I think the colour just needs unleashing as E has shown. Do you have PS, if so have you discovered the power of LAB mode for enhancing colour saturation? Are you using an LP filter in front of the colour filters, obviously it can greatly reduce an LP gradient although Gradient Exterminator or DBE in PixInsight do a great job.

Utterly stunning, like an HST image! Wow, all I can say is wow....

Many thanks Kirkster. That's really kind but I'm not 100% happy and will return to this target if the clouds every disperse! My images just seem a bit soft compared to some I see on here, especially in the star field...

But thanks for the encouragement!

That's a fantastic set of data. The luminence is stunning and I think the colour just needs unleashing as E has shown. Do you have PS, if so have you discovered the power of LAB mode for enhancing colour saturation? Are you using an LP filter in front of the colour filters, obviously it can greatly reduce an LP gradient although Gradient Exterminator or DBE in PixInsight do a great job.

Thanks Martin. Yes I know of the LAB colour process; in fact I was reading about it in a back issue of Sky at Night magazine just the other day! I think I'll go back and see what I can do using the LAB technique instead of having to increase the saturation so dramatically...

No LP filter - would recommend one in front of the colour filters then? But not for the Lum? This target was actually fairly near my zenith...

Archived