Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

moaning missus?

houston

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys need to sort out who's the boss. Whatever happened to "women know your place". I just tell my misses "I think we need a Takahashi this or an Astro-Physics that.." Then she says "that sounds like a jolly good idea, especially if it makes you happy".

I recently posed the question - should I buy the lower cost mount/tripod that will kinda do the job but isn't ideal or do I get the mount/tripod I really want (for twice the cost) that will last me a long time...

Her response initially was why do you need more telescope stuff when you hardly get out witn it (I mentioned clouds :clouds1: ), but then she said send me the link and I'll treat you to it :icon_biggrin: - the mount/tripod I really wanted arrived a few days later...

Then she said - you will sell your old one wont you.... of course dear...

I have snuck a couple of items in, or have said that I put a low bid on something on eBay and amazingly won it, but generally honesty IS the best policy!

To be honest shes not a complete witch, i have pretty much all i need until i see the adverts in the monthly magazine. She has booked a cottage for us before in breacon beacons and booked 2 week cruise to artic circle and norway for northern lights.

There's a particular African tribe where the men and women live separately and only come together to eat, party and have sexual relations.

I honestly believe that they have something there and that we could learn a lot from them.

Sadly the way our society is structured, it would be very problematic but who knows, over the course of thousands of years......things may change.

Nothing stopping you from doing exactly the same thing. I know that it's what I do.

Divorced 3 years ago. I've got a great GF now. She has her house and space, I have mine. I spent what I want, on whatever I want, whenever I want it (it's my money, after all). I use my time as I see fit, and her likewise. We see each other when we want

Divorce. Helping people to get exactly what they want since 1533 :grin: :grin: :grin:

I must give my wife credit, she did buy me 2 of my telescopes in the past, and she's very tolerant when a movie night or what have you is cancelled due to clear weather!

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

Seriously? You discuss stuff with your wives???

I just quietly buy stuff and sneak it into my kit. The last thing she ever wants to look through is my kit and even if she did she wouldn't notice if something new had been added :)

in all seriousness, I actually think honesty is always best. myself and my wife have a small amount of 'spends' per month and this is ours to spend on what we want with no guilt, excuses or lies required. if I sell my own gear bought with such funds to buy something else then that's fine too. that way it comes out of my money not the family pot.

my wife's not so much concerned about the money I spend (which these days is a lot less than it was) but the time I spend. Sometimes I overdo it and I then get a justified reminder to pay her some attention. it's always give and take though in any relationship worth its salt. after 23 years together I know that by now!

this is the same policy my wife and I have. so when I buy things im quite open and honest. She has absolutely no interest in my hobby which means I can just get on with buying whatever I want without fear of an audit. I mean it's a bit hard to hide a monster dob :D

Buying H-alpha stuff is a fairly safe way to slip expensive stuff under the radar. Most people will simply not believe what an innocuous looking star-diagonal thingy, or a little bit of coloured-looking glass, or (shudder) a little tubby etalon thingy for a solar scope costs. An Ethos 21, or Nagler 31 looksexpensive, but a D-ERF from Baader costs the same (or more for big aperture) and looks cheap. Compare a Lunt 60m solar scope to my C8 OTA or even just the APM 80 OTA. The latter look much more expensive. Looks deceive.

Decades ago paid for my DIY obsy build and scopes with a part-time business via mail [photo-filter/ SLR screen swap/ astro s-ware for Spectrum] so it didn't come from the day job and no hasstle from the wife and family.

Something like this would certainly never be the thing you could sneak past anyone. Mind you, anyone who could afford that kind of cash wouldn't be worried about it going under the radar.

If you can afford that, you will also be able to afford a mountaintop observatory, a seaworthy yacht, and anything the missus desires (or you can afford a different missus :evil6:).

Archived