M81 8 hours luminance

MikeD

Bits and bobs and a good run over three nights this week, added to some data from March.

M81 L

Luminance = 6 @ 800 seconds( from march) and 40 @ 600 seconds .

Shot through my 10" f4.8 newt and SVXFH9.

some strange star shapes diagonally towards the bottom right, from the new data , haven't had a chance to find out what's happened there yet :confused:

Mike.

m81-2013-L-46XX.jpg.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've not had that star issue before, I don't think? You'll sort it. It couldn't just be one bad sub?

The galaxy is stunning. The detail goes right to the heart of the matter and you've made s splendid job of the core, which so often shows a harsh transition from faint to bright. Not a bit of that here. It's a smooth progression, just perfect.

Olly

You've not had that star issue before,I don't think?

Olly

No it is a new and strange one, My first thought was that the ccd was somehow off square to the light path but the faint stars on the offending side still seem to still have sharp focus I would expect there to be a slight shift in focus if that was the case. :icon_scratch:

You'll sort it. It couldn't just be one bad sub?

it's in all subs and also in all subs from my RGB run last night.

I did not investigate further last night as I kind of needed the RGB data to match the L.

The strange thing is I had not touched the imaging train ( I hadn't eve touched the focus) since My run on M109 and there are no issue in that data set. :icon_scratch:

Time to brake down the imaging train re-collimate and start again (after I have taken RGB flats for last nights run ) and hope that sorts it

Mike.

I have just broke down the imaging train and checked collimation and the primary was way out. :Envy:

Sorted now and I hope that was the issue.

Not sure what happened as I have not knocked the scope at all and it usually holds collimation for months in the obs, now I am thinking how much better the data could have been so I will shoot M81 again. :rolleyes:

The price I have had to pay because I didn't check collimation as I would have to re shoot flats...... lesson learnt. :embarrassed:

Mike

Archived