Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just bougt a 10" Dob!

JonF

As the title, a Revelation 10" Dob. Had previously been listed on eBay and sold for £320, but then the buyer wanted it posting, so it was relisted. I put in a half-hearted bid of £150, and went out for the day. Just got back to find it sold, to me! Assuming it's not a basket case it should be a lot of scope for not much money.

If the mirrors are in good nick thats an excellent deal :smiley:

Practically all other issues with dobs can be sorted with a little DIY - they lend themselves to a bit of tinkering !

hope you do get it , as this person has relisted under two different i.d.s , it was me who asked if he can post if i sorted a courier out, he said yes , then when i lost the bid a day later he asked do i want it as the other guy hadnt paid (shill bid me thinks) i replied yes but reminded him i need it posted and would get a courier myself if he would package , then nothing, and it came back on ebay with another sellers i.d. , it is the same guy as it looks like he buys and sell cars as well.

let us know if it all goes to plan he wasnt happy with £300 from me so it will be good to see if he keeps to his word..fingers crossed for you and hopefully i read the situation all wrong but it did seem suspect to me.

I spoke to the guy today, and to be honest I half expected him to try to wriggle out of the deal, but he didn't seem to want to. I said I'd pick up on Sunday. We'll see. If I get it, then great stuff, if he blows me out, then I'll report him to eBay and move on.

I hope you do get it mate there might have been something else going on and i've misjudged the situation , it's not like i actually won the auction , it just seemed strange that he offered it an hour after because the person who out bid me hadnt paid i said yes and nothing no contact ,and it came back up on another account..

i've got my fingers crossed for ya

Well, I collected it today as arranged. Seller was friendly and pleasant, not a hint of a quibble over the price. All good, very pleased.

..well done,now watch the clouds roll in while your dying to get out there...time to mod?

Well, I’ve had the chance to spend a little time looking over it. It was pretty grimy all over, and a bit smelly – they had a dog and a cat in the house that I saw, so no surprises. Cleaned up OK. The pivot fixings on the tube were loose, and the base pivot was rattling loose, but all just needed a little tightening. Alt/Az movement now fine, smooth and well balanced. The focuser if nice and smooth, and the finder scope is a decent 50mm one. Came with a GSO 26mm eyepiece, which again is OK. Mirror is pretty grubby, as it said in the advert, but it should still be functional, looking at it and doing a crude torch shine test. There is a cooling fan, which works, and is amazingly smooth running and quiet.

So, a load of scope for very little money. It’s a big thing, and pretty heavy, 27kg all up, so on the limit of what one person can easily move about the garden, but just about possible. It will now, of course, rain until September. When the snow’ll start again…….

He was a little, err, eccentric. My guess is that your experience was more down to this than malice. Whatever, we'll never know, but I know I really struck lucky this time.

Archived