NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dremmel Tool

ollypenrice

I've reached a fairly advanced age without ever owning a Dremmel tool but I saw one in the local builders' merchants yesterday and had a 'treat yourelf' moment. What a nice little gadget, so well though out and with a wondrous range of accessories. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make with it but doubtless some project will appear! I'd just come out of the dentist so I might start on friends' teeth. I could save them a fortune. What do you reckon? :eek:

Olly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engrave your adapters, you'll never be confused ever again about what fits into what!! You're probably not anyway Olly, but I was bordering on lost until I did this. A very worthwhile few minutes spent!! And then I found I'd only duplicated 2 adapters as well. I was quite pleased about that!

If you get the option, Id recommend a Proxxon drill/grinder over a dremmel. The bearings are much better and the drill stands/presses are cheap but rock solid. I needed one to drill the many 0.8mm holes in a pcb and reading around put me off the dremils for that particular job.

One of the best things to fit in it is the diamond edged cut-off disk - they are about an inch across and will cut most things. I have 13 years old B&Q version of the Dremmel as they were better at the time. Lots of accessories available in Maplin and other DIY places.

P

I'm always cautious with angle grinders but thanks for the heads up, Tinker 1947. You can't say it often enough. I even got a bit of metal in my eye while wearing safety goggles. Must have shot ithrough the vent. No harm done but not nice.

ANybody tried cutting foam? And if so what cutter works best?

Olly

I've only bodged plastic, metal and wood. The disc is great for cutting things off and the little grinders are a god send. When i haven't got the right tools i can normally hack, drill and grind it into submission with the dremmel.....i love mine...

I'm always cautious with angle grinders but thanks for the heads up, Tinker 1947. You can't say it often enough. I even got a bit of metal in my eye while wearing safety goggles. Must have shot ithrough the vent. No harm done but not nice.

Olly

A extremely sharp long carving knife, a straight edge, not to heavy, then gentle strokes to keep it straight, there is a site supplies Foam cut to order in different densities......

http://www.efoam.co.uk/foamshapes.php

Olly

A tip I have heard about but never tried is to freeze the foam before cutting

I've got the Draper version of the Dremmel - very useful :) I do lots of very small engineering jobs. Yes, the cutting discs are great for cutting rectangular holes in boxes. So much easier than the old way of drilling rows of holes then using a file to tidy up :D

Olly mate what a deprived life you must have lived. Its a 'must have tool'.

Now please take heed of what I'm saying here. DON'T DO AMATEUR DENTISTRY ON YOUR FRIENDS.

See if you can find a tramp or at least a decent size dog to try it out on first. The former probably wont need much in the way of anesthetic but the latter will definitely need a few shots of the rough stuff befoe you can get going.

Can I also recommend that you start off with a small bit. That way if there is a lot of struggling ( and I've certainly found that to be the case - at first anyhow ) then you only end up with a small hole in your leg.

ooh yeh. And get some ear plugs.

HTH

cheers

gaj

...................... ANybody tried cutting foam? And if so what cutter works best?

Olly

I find the appropriate size deoderant containers with the heads cut off work perfectly for eyepiece holes.

The cylinder walls are wafer thin & can be filed razor sharp. Just rotate as you press down on the foam.

Click on photos to enlarge.

post-21902-0-54075100-1364617624_thumb.j

post-21902-0-09682700-1364617635_thumb.j

I have a Dremel 'pro' model that doesn't get much use ...... because either it won't start, or it cuts out after a few minutes :sad: . I've checked the vents are clear - it's not overheating - so I think it's the electronics, perhaps the electronic speed control.

Anyone know if it's worth trying to repair? If I replace it, is Dremel best these days, or other brands just as good?

Adrian

I have a Dremel 'pro' model that doesn't get much use ...... because either it won't start, or it cuts out after a few minutes :sad: . I've checked the vents are clear - it's not overheating - so I think it's the electronics, perhaps the electronic speed control.

Anyone know if it's worth trying to repair? If I replace it, is Dremel best these days, or other brands just as good?

Adrian

You could try blowing it out with a air line, might be dust/grit around the brushes......

Archived