Greetings from Dark the Dark Skies

sastay

Hi! Newbe here!

Having been made aware of SGL on a trip to an excellent observing site in Wales last year I have taken the plunge and decide to introduce myself to you all and also to spend more than intended on a telescope.

I took delivery this week of a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Mak with an Auto Tracking mount with the simple controller (not a GoTo control pad) and so far it seems to be very easy to use -essential for a simpleton like me!- Just need the damn weather to sort itself out now!!

I am completley new to the pleasures of Telescope ownership and all that this offers but think I have a basic grasp of astro-navigation (only time will tell....)

My tiny brain has become a little scrambled with all of the information I have tried to cram into it from this site, the interweb and various books. The only thing I have truly learnt so far is that "Turn Left At Orion" is brilliant and "Stellarium" is exremely useful when the weather is bad. These two are fantastic, helpful tools to any newcomer.

I have the luxury of living on the outskirts of the Brecon Beacons during the week and being at home on the weekends in Kent. This not only means that I am only 40 mins from Greenwich and all that the observatory has to offer at the weekends but I also have my weekday evenings to myself, to get out and stare upwards!

As soon as the weather clears I’ll be out and getting to grips with my new toy and will no doubt be back with a myriad of beginner related questions.

Bye for now….

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi and welcome sastay, you are very lucky living were you do and we should all come down to your house and welcome you to our club lol. were did you go in wales by the way. clear skys

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to meet anyone that can impart any knowledge.

The viewing point in Wales was Blorenge on the outskirts of Abergavenny at over 1500' and with hard standing its ideal, added to this its only 10 minutes away too!

Archived