New Stargazer

SeanGreenn

Hi there, I've just recently decided to follow my strong interest in astronomy and become a stargazer, space? Something I've been interested in since I can remember.. Just purchased a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian which was recommended to me by first light optics, it will be arriving within 3 days then I will start this interesting hobbie ! :smiley:

Stargazing is all new to me so any help would be pretty amasing !

ive also purchased beginner astronomy books to help get me ststarted

thanks, Sean.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sean,

Welcome to this wonderful hobby. Time you get you prepped for it. We all like freebies and I guess so will you. Stellarium is one free to download software you must try, now that you will have a dobsonian scope. It will help you prepare in advance for the nights observing. In addition to that you may also get books like "Turn Left at Orion" and the "cambridge Star Atlas" or even the "Collins Gem-Night Sky" also known as "Collins Gem-Stars". This pocket book is available on ebat UK for as little as £4.00 including shipping.

All the best to you, hope you enjoy yourselves as we all have been.

Regards,

Sathya

Hi Sean and welcome to the SGL.

Great choice of scope there ;) Any of the books listed above will be great. You'll need a red torch to help you read any star maps you take outside with you, and some sort of seat is a real benefit when spending a prolonged time at the eyepiece.

Enjoy :)

Archived