Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my bgo,s

faulksy

am i bit tempted to put my sought after 9mm and my 12.5mm bgo,s up for sale or swop for some new pentax x-fs 8.5 and 12mm,s. do you think this would be a good idea. heard good things about the pentax,s but the bgo,s are never slated, no reason for selling the bgo,s just wondering are the pentax as good, thanks for looking. mike

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would tend to agree with Jules, you won't better the BGOs in terms of sharpness and contrast.

Maybe try to get a look through a Pentax before letting go of the BGO's, they will be difficult and expensive to replace if you change your mind

Stu

thanks for the replies. do you think bgo,s are that good, the problem i have is i have never had anything to compare them with, so your mind plays tricks on you,just thought the pentax would be = to or better.

I have the 5mm, 6mm, 7mm & 9mm Baader GOs and they're phenomenal eyepieces. Okay, I do not have much experience with EPs, but although you're limited to just 40º fov, the sharpness and image contrast is phenomenal.

Appreciating the rhetorical stance of what I'm just about to say - just taking image quality as our soie criteria, it ought not be a question of how well a BGO compares with other EPs but just how well any other EP performs when compared to a BGO. And I feel the same could equally be said of Tele Vue's Plossl range - especially 11mm and longer.

Nevertheless, I feel this criteria is not the only reason folk buy EPs. Eyerelief, FOV and peer influence also make an impact on the decission to buy or not, as does the price. If you want more comfortable eye-relief and more substantial FOV, then this can be sort. If you want all of that and the quality of a BGO or TV plossl, you will probably have to end up paying a lot, lot more.

With all that said - if you're selling your 12.5 BGO, please, please, please give me the first option of purchase :p

Bought secondhand a 9mm a month ago for £50 on Astr-Buy, brought the 7mm in Spain for just €40 via ebay. I see they're going secondhand this week on Astro-buy for between £65 to £110 or so. Seems a bit odd, though, for the 18mm is still on sale in many shops in Spain and brand new doesn't cost more than €90 (about £70).

what do you think there worth. i have seen them on abs and they do sell quick and a fetch a lot of money

The regular BGO seems to be listed for £70-£100, but you have the rare 9mm and the very rare 12.5mm. Not sure how much someone will pay for a 12.5, but I wouldn't be surprise someone will be more than willing to trade your 12.5 BGO for an XF.

I just sold my 6mm BGO and other stuff to fund a small scope,which fell through,but because i agreed to sell it i wouldnt go back on my word,and to be honest i was gutted on letting this eyepiece go.Ihave the 9mm and would never let this go i dont think you can get a better planetary eyepiece for the money,so i would keep them.

hi Faulksy

I may be in N Wales with my kit in the next week or so. if you are about you could compare with other TV eyepieces (I have three BGOs myself) I have and see that the BGOs are (as far as I am concerned) better than anything else I have other than where FOV is concerned.

hi Faulksy

I may be in N Wales with my kit in the next week or so. if you are about you could compare with other TV eyepieces (I have three BGOs myself) I have and see that the BGOs are (as far as I am concerned) better than anything else I have other than where FOV is concerned.

that would be good moonshane, we were on about meeting up so that could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. when are you up here and were was you thinking of going ?

CJ,

You don't really mean that do you.

I have just bought a 6mm BGO from FLO, but I will not see it for a while. I don't need one but I wanted to see what all the fuss is over. It will be OK on 3 of my scopes but a 12.5 would be the one for my LX, but there seems little chance of one. The good thing is they are black and green.

Alan.

Stu,

Yes that is what I intend to do, I don't know what focal lengths these come in but I am sure there will be something in the 12mm area. The thing is as I am sure you know when you have F/L of 3048mm the last thing you want is short focal length eyepieces. I mean 6mm would be a joke on it, maybe the Moon only, I don't buy into this massive magnification on double stars, it just don't work on this scope. I have tried over X300 on Sirius and it just looks like a disco mirror ball and I still have never seen the Pup with this scope. I am also sure my conditions are better than any available in the UK on this star.

So hutech it will be, I hope they get them before early May

Alan.

They look to be the same as the BGO's with a 12.5 too, but possibly labelled as a 12. I can't see them making all the same focal lengths and then being .5mm different on one? Anyway, doesn't matter either way. I've got my name down for two to use in my Binoviewer.

I use an 18mm BGO in my mak (4000mm f/l) which gives a very nice x222 and comfortable eye relief. The 12.5 might work well as a highish power in yours? Even the 18mm would be worth considering.

Stu

I don't think so AB but for some reason they don't appeal to me. I'm not bothered about the extra afov, I would rather have narrower but sharp right across the field. Also the focal lengths aren't quite as suitable for me.

I know it's irrelevant for viewing, but they sound like they are built to a cost, and that it shows in certain areas. I like my eps solid and chunky ;-)

Stu

Archived