SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

my bgo,s

faulksy

I don't think so AB but for some reason they don't appeal to me. I'm not bothered about the extra afov, I would rather have narrower but sharp right across the field. Also the focal lengths aren't quite as suitable for me.

I know it's irrelevant for viewing, but they sound like they are built to a cost, and that it shows in certain areas. I like my eps solid and chunky ;-)

Stu

They just don't look as classy as the bgo's. Apparently they're not as weighty or solid feeling as the bgo's either and that does sort of matter to me. Solidity and a nice weighty feel inspire confidence in the quality in my little mind.Also bgo's are black and green and so will look at home in Alan's collection

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has the gloss come off the BCOs then.....a few weeks ago everyone was lauding them as brighter than a BGO and at least as sharp ?

The lack of gloss is the problem with bco's. I like a bit of class glass me.Nice to see you A-Baby.

BCO's are excellent orthos but can't match the build and finish of the BGO's. Optically I reckon BCO 18mm is just a tad better than the 18m BGO (slightly better light transmission I thought). At the 6mm focal length the BGO just out performed the BCO on light scatter control but was as good if not a little better than a 6mm Ethos within the limits of 40-45 degrees, so not bad !

The 50 degree FoV of the BCO's is not fully sharp so they are still effectively 40-ish degree orthos. Very good eyepieces for under £50 though. I have a feeling I've read somewhere that the Abbe Ortho design can only be fully sharp across a relatively narrow FoV so maybe thats a characteristic of the optical design ?

Sorry if this repeats some of what I've posted before on these but it seemed relevant :smiley:

I tend to agree that the BGO's have a build quality that is worth hanging onto. I don't believe you should have to pay over the odds for it though :undecided:

BCO's are excellent orthos but can't match the build and finish of the BGO's. Optically I reckon BCO 18mm is just a tad better than the 18m BGO (slightly better light transmission I thought). At the 6mm focal length the BGO just out performed the BCO on light scatter control but was as good if not a little better than a 6mm Ethos within the limits of 40-45 degrees, so not bad !

The 50 degree FoV of the BCO's is not fully sharp so they are still effectively 40-ish degree orthos. Very good eyepieces for under £50 though. I have a feeling I've read somewhere that the Abbe Ortho design can only be fully sharp across a relatively narrow FoV so maybe thats a characteristic of the optical design ?

Sorry if this repeats some of what I've posted before on these but it seemed relevant :smiley:

I tend to agree that the BGO's have a build quality that is worth hanging onto. I don't believe you should have to pay over the odds for it though :undecided:

Indeed! It was a very good review John. I never like to pay over the odds for anything (although sometimes there's little choice) and that is why I was so astounded with the performance of the BGO's in the first place.

The second hand market value of BGO's is not a big suprise to me as they were very good EP's set at a very reasonable price and now they've gone, the demand will set it's own market price.

Mine are priceless to me and so will be staying with me......on a pedastal ......on a shrine.....In a temple :grin:

I managed to get a 9mm from Astro B&S without costing me both arms and a leg. I would love a 12.5mm but may well have to settle for a Hutech when FLO gets them, they look nicely made too. I wonder why Televue don't do Ortho's

Alan.

Dont they only make what they invent? I got that impression but I'm realtively new to this still being only my 2nd year...

Thats my understanding too. Al Nagler did slightly modify the plossl design to get some early sales before the first Nagler was launched but since then they seem to have stayed with home grown designs, although I'm sure those are based at least partly on something else somewhere along the line.

Agreed, as I said, they are not selling quickly at this price, noticeably since the FLO announcement so perhaps make an offer?

good point stuart will do that and let you no.cheers

Glad I got my 18mm from FLO just before they vanished forever! £75 starting to look like a bargain now :p

I Reckon the second hand price of BGO's will settle at around £100 as that seems to be the way the wind is blowing

Archived