Hello from Portsmouth, Hants

Phillithevicar

Hi all.

I guess like most that I am no stranger to this forum, having spent hours/ days sifting what others have said about different scopes and set ups!.

Well it finally paid off, and after a notable birthday I have ordered a Skyliner 200p from Astronomia which should arrive next Tues (as it clouds over for 4 months!!)

This was at the very very top of my meagre budget and so I may just be able to scrape enough together for a cheshire but everything will have to wait.

Finally, a thanks to all those who post on here which allows idiots like me to make and informed decision.

Cheers Phill

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome.

Mullac2001- Not yet as I am waiting for the scope to arrive. Thinking I will start in the back garden first ( although the centre of Portsmouth does have a far bit of LP) and then perhaps explore a little further. Hantsastro certainly look like a good group to join so I might check out their forthcoming dates.

Cheers Phill

Hi, Phill and welcome to SGL! That's a nice scope you have bought there. A 'Cheshire' (or other collimating piece) is an essential for a Newtonian scope - but just about everything else can wait. If you haven't doen already, I would recommend 'Stellarium', a free planetarium, which will help in finding what's out there and how to plot it.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

I have the Stellarium and a the larger version of the Philips planisphere.

Just wondering on whether to go for a laser collimator (due to size of tube) or a Cheshire. I have read many posts for and against both and at this point cost may dictate the outcome !!

Cheers Phill

Thanks for the welcome.

Mullac2001- Not yet as I am waiting for the scope to arrive. Thinking I will start in the back garden first ( although the centre of Portsmouth does have a far bit of LP) and then perhaps explore a little further. Hantsastro certainly look like a good group to join so I might check out their forthcoming dates.

Cheers Phill

thanks for replying

i"m a beginner myself with a lot to learn. hantsastro doesn"t seem to be as "stuffy" as other groups(no offence intended to

anyone of course) and i know alice holt is classified as a dark site which is just around the corner from me but i dont think i can just wander in there when i like at night as its gated. if anyone one knows otherwise i"d appreciate some info?

enjoy your new scope when you get it

Welcome to the lounge Phill, being a newbie myself I have been looking at the same scope, It's a very popular choice, There are lots of posts and videos on collimation, download a few and study them, that's what I am doing at the moment . All the best and Clear Sky's (when your scope arrives)

Archived