Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

Is that just a viewing map re LP, or one for imagers as well....found two different types online. The sites look good though. If only we could get onto the foulness island. I am sure the MOD would allow it....Not...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its just a guide to how dark the area is... Not sure how its done but its all we have.<br />

if I get the chance I'll pop me bins in the car one night to have a quick look. If any of the sites are OK then we can try to find out who we need to ask for permission.

On the way from work (after midnight) I went to Pond Wood in Thunersley to see how street light switch off has reduced Light Pollution. Although I havent got reference pictures showing how it was before midnight, I have to say it was quite dark over there. Not as good as Dengie, but it was prommising. Have a look at my last post  there:

https://www.facebook.com/MySkyAtNight

or if you are not on FB look there:

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1654167_648342168561942_1648552572_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1623638_648342161895276_286170642_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31/1522977_648342258561933_1030541153_o.jpg

Good luck... the other night our lights did NOT go off. I was assuming this was meant to be every night they went off at 12, but it appears last weekend they did not. Though come Monday they are back out again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck... the other night our lights did NOT go off. I was assuming this was meant to be every night they went off at 12, but it appears last weekend they did not. Though come Monday they are back out again. 

It relation to the recent 'heavy' rainfall, the council decided not to turn the lights off. Completely inconsistent turning it off in relation to the weather.. we've had a lot worse since the start of December and they have still been switched it off other days.. don't understand it! The announcement seems to come from a variety of sources as well! I see no Essex County Council source announcing the lights will stay on tonight for example.. it's ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if they've been off before but they went out at about 12.05 tonight, at last, and it was clear with good seeing. It helped but I don't think it was by any more than half a mag. I could just about see the fainter stars in little bear whereas I couldn't before. There's still quite a few private lights on in various places. The north looked darkest and west poorest, presumably the distant glow from London. Overhead was better, I had quite good contrast with my 22mm, and could see all the Leo triplet although I needed averted vision for the fainter galaxy.

Anyway it's finally happened around here. - :) - :)

I suppose they had to alter some of their plans following the complaints etc. the street lights went off near me and although I didn't go far to look I'd guess most of Billericay went out.

Noticed that the lights were off in Rayleigh after midnight whilst I was heading back from a boozy session up in the City. Shame it was cloudy at that point but to be honest I was too drunk to do any observing anyway.  :p

Noticed that the lights were off in Rayleigh after midnight whilst I was heading back from a boozy session up in the City. Shame it was cloudy at that point but to be honest I was too drunk to do any observing anyway. :p

Seeing stars for all the wrong reasons :-)

My daughter informed me today, that my son in law was also out in the city last night but he didn't notice the lights had gone out here because they had come on again by the time he got back.

Archived