Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

Don't know tbh.  It's not too bad down this way as we're been Colchester and the sea so really it is only the north that has bad LP, can usually get a good view of the Milky Way if the sky is reasonably transparent (only a few miles out of town).  I assume you are somewhere in the town then?  Would have thought the difference would be much more dramatic for you unless you are right in the centre near the main roads which are being left on.  At least the moon should be out of the way for the big switch off, just hope the weather cooperates.

About 2 miles from town centre. Was just thinking myself at least the Moon will be out the way.. however I gather from 2 sources that the 'big switch off' may not be as such, and lights will go off as a progression over time.

The Council's wording for Colchester is different here - http://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads/roads-and-pavements/street-lighting/part-night-lighting.aspx

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish folks would remember that there's large swathes of rural Essex that cope perfectly well without this new-fangled street-lighting stuff (e.g. we're about 7 miles from the nearest lit area). We somehow manage to put out our bins/cross the road/remain un-burgled.  :smiley:

I wish folks would remember that there's large swathes of rural Essex that cope perfectly well without this new-fangled street-lighting stuff (e.g. we're about 7 miles from the nearest lit area). We somehow manage to put out our bins/cross the road/remain un-burgled.  :smiley:

Ditto.

About 2 miles from town centre. Was just thinking myself at least the Moon will be out the way.. however I gather from 2 sources that the 'big switch off' may not be as such, and lights will go off as a progression over time.

The Council's wording for Colchester is different here - http://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads/roads-and-pavements/street-lighting/part-night-lighting.aspx

Some news on this, decided to send an email to the council since for all my research, no one knew what was going on! After a failed reply.. I got this back.

I can confirm that PNL will commence Sunday/Monday (night) – Midnight to 5am on the 1 Dec 13 for the whole area except for those that meet the exemption criteria.

So it seems barring the council bottling it again! We will get that 'big switch off' you mention Ian.. what with no Moon to spoil the view.. just the dreaded prospect of those.. things. Begins with C :lipsrsealed:.

Thanks for the update, that ties in with what I'd assumed from the official site.  The only thing that wasn't really clear was when they said the 1st whether it was Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon so that is also clear now.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/10845997.Streets_given_light_switch_off_reprieve_ahead_of_Colchester_launch/

Well this is probably sensible.. although I'd like to know if the 7 out of 10 lights going off are 7 out of the 10 that were planned.. or 7 out of 10 lights in Colchester - in total. It sounds like it's the latter..

Either way.. Will the damn things actually go off on Sunday or not.. Especially seeing as upon re-reading the article.. it says "Streets around the Dutch Quarter, which are covered by CCTV, are still under review.".. I'm sure that provides ample excuse to stamp a further delay on!

Forecast from Sunday onwards looks terrible in addition.

Did the Colchester switch off actually happen last night?  it was overcast, but I took a look out of the window about 2:00am and the light pollution to the North looked pretty much the same as it always does.  I checked again at 6:20am when I got up for work (by which time the lights should have been back on) and it didn't look any different than it did at 2:00am.  So I wonder if it happened at all?

If I am up after midnight again I might take a look out of one of the rear windows, as I can see plenty of streetlights in West Mersea and should be obvious if they are on or off.

It did happen, didn't seem to make much difference though! Overcast so saw no stars, but could still see light pollution to the north (towards the military centre you mentioned), and it generally still looked quite light. My dad didn't notice much difference either..

Tonight and Tue night look no-goers as well.. Wednesday night looks optimistic, so I'm going to reserve judgement until then.

Basildon News: Essex County Council and Basildon Council have approved A127 and A13 Trial part night lighting for 2 years starting the 9th December

Thats good news Craig, thanks for the update.

I couldn't see any extra news on the other streets but hopefully they'll be going off as well.

Wow interesting..

Well tonight is the night! 3 nights of part-night lightning with solid cloud.. crystal clear out there now.. 3 hours to go, clear forecast until 4am.. Finally get to see what difference it makes here!

It being a work night I could not get outside, but due to a bout of insomnia etween 2:00am and 4:00am I did have a look out of the windows a few times.  The sky to the South-East has always been reasonably good, but with no street lights at all from West Mersea it was excellent.  To the North-West in the direction of Colchester, there was still noticeable light pollution (from the Military Corrective Centre I think), but it was significantly reduced vs. normal conditions.  Above about 20-30 degrees it was nearly as good as to the South-East, and even below that you could clearly see mag 2 and 3 stars, whereas normally you might see mag 1 and perhaps 2 on a really transparent night.

It being a work night I could not get outside, but due to a bout of insomnia etween 2:00am and 4:00am I did have a look out of the windows a few times.  The sky to the South-East has always been reasonably good, but with no street lights at all from West Mersea it was excellent.  To the North-West in the direction of Colchester, there was still noticeable light pollution (from the Military Corrective Centre I think), but it was significantly reduced vs. normal conditions.  Above about 20-30 degrees it was nearly as good as to the South-East, and even below that you could clearly see mag 2 and 3 stars, whereas normally you might see mag 1 and perhaps 2 on a really transparent night.

Well I went out at 11.45 at strangely could see more stars already than I usually do.. maybe because of good conditions, but when the switch off came, I didn't notice any initial difference at all.. but I think after 10-15 minutes I noticed more stars, and towards the horizon defiantly looked darker

I'm thinking even if it hasn't had a huge effect where I live, that some areas around where I live should be really good. I think Mersea was pretty good before? And now with Colchester and Mersea lights going off I'm going to plan a trip up there soon. Also, I used to come here if I wanted a good dark sky, I expect this place (51.842499, 0.770284) could be brilliant now, what with Colchester & Tiptree lights going off.

Thanks for the update, that ties in with what I'd assumed from the official site.  The only thing that wasn't really clear was when they said the 1st whether it was Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon so that is also clear now.

Been spending some time on google maps today trying to find somewhere that could be a good place visit within a 20-30 minute radius of Colchester. [51.801904, 0.821421] Seeing as it's looks out of the way anyway, and with Colchester, Tiptree, Maldon, Witham and Braintree, Mersea lights off at 12 I think it could be good, and I can't see anywhere nearby it that would be a problem for lights.

Been spending some time on google maps today trying to find somewhere that could be a good place visit within a 20-30 minute radius of Colchester. [51.801904, 0.821421] Seeing as it's looks out of the way anyway, and with Colchester, Tiptree, Maldon, Witham and Braintree, Mersea lights off at 12 I think it could be good, and I can't see anywhere nearby it that would be a problem for lights.

You're right in my patch there.  Two things to consider:

- You have Five Lakes just to the South.  The hotel is lit up like a Christmas tree; the land drops away to the sea to the South and you'd likely have it in your eye-line since it is reasonably open, or at least have the LP above it.

- You need somewhere to park up without blocking the road.  I think you are okay as far as right of way goes to the point you have marked, but it is single track with no passing places, and private track after that (most of them are round here).  Wouldn't fancy pulling out in to the field access in the dark to be honest since they are usually pretty churned up and muddy.  You might get an unexpected visit by a local even after midnight (or especially so).

One place you might try very near to this is Copt Hall.  It is a National Trust property (nice walks around the Essex Marshes during daylight - highly recommended if you want to see 'big skies' without taking a trip to Nebraska).

It is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d2487!2d0.8761599!3d51.7926954!2m1!1e3&fid=7

You just need to get to the village of Little Wigborough (between Great Wigborough and Peldon) and head down Copt Hall Lane (on the right if you are going towards Mersea Island).  It is quite a long single track road, but is a public right of way so just keep going until you get to the farm at the end here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#!q=51.801904%2C+0.821421&data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d0.870067!3d51.795105!2m2!1f91.11!2f73.99!4f75!2m9!1e1!2m4!1sLOD6R-wX9LHxjWg_QtVMoA!2e0!9m1!6sCopt+Hall+Lane!5m2!1sLOD6R-wX9LHxjWg_QtVMoA!2e0!4m14!2m13!1m12!3m8!1m3!1d719!2d0.789675!3d51.8130803!3m2!1i1440!2i774!4f35!4m2!3d51.801904!4d0.821421&fid=5

There is a parking place just by the farm there, but I don't know how much lighting there is on the farm at night.  You should see a small sign for 'car park' down the concrete track to the left.  You are okay to drive down there during the day as there is a small car park at the end by a barn where you stop if you are walking round the marshes.  I don't know the situation at night, the concrete track is not gated but you certainly don't want to be wandering around the marshes in the dark!

See this:  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/copt-hall-marshes/

The plus side is that you would not be obstructing anything and there would be zero passing traffic.  There are a few trees and the barn, but you should have fairly unobstructed views from there, and not that much LP even before midnight as you only have West Mersea to the south and then just the sea, which is pretty much the same conditions as I have in my back garden, so I can recommend it!

Archived