NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

Got really sick on Sunday and only just recovering now so still haven't been out to enjoy it yet.

There was so much streetlight before I could literally read manuals and notes but now i'd have no chance, so it really has made a difference.

How's your new scope? You haven't updated your signature yet.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not well enough to head out for long, have yet to return to work all week!

Sold the case for a good amount yesterday but no luck on the scope, I've dropped it down to 1995 now! It's a total bargain for whoever gets it now. There's a couple guys who are interested, one is waiting on a cheque so hopefully he offers to buy soon. You been out much?

They have been doing this in the village I live for a while. Unfortunately, all the paranoid people now leave security lights on, kitchen lights, bathroom lights - you name it! One security light opposite me lights up the street and is like having the moon out!

Difficult to know what to do about it. Perhaps the councils should embark on some sort of educational marketing campaign but I suppose they'll always be some die hards that will never change their views.

They should have light police ;-) a bit like cops standing behind trees with speed cameras, but instead they wander round housing estates with a light meter and issue £90 on the spot fixed penaltys for excessive lighting ( except at Christmas of course)

Take a look at this:

https://www.stratford.gov.uk/community/Lighting.cfm

Might be worth speaking to the environmental heath department at the council. Specifically:

Artificial Light & The Law
New Developments
The best method of dealing with light pollution is at the planning stage. This is an ideal time to influence the design or installation of lighting schemes. However, not all developments require planning consent. Those that do are developments involving the carrying out of building engineering or which involve making material cahnges to existing buildings or land.
Existing Developments
Local authorities receiving complaints about artificial light in England can now assess whether the light is a nuisance under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005. The Act extends the nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to cover artificial light emitted from premises - including domestic and commercial security lights, some healthy living and sports facilities and domestic decorative lighting; artificial lighting from transport facilities, freight depots, lighthouses, prisons and defence premises is excluded. Civil action can also be taken by an individual to tackle a lighting problem. He/she would have to be able to prove that a nuisance existed. A nuisance can be described as an adverse state of affairs which interferes with an individual's use and enjoyment of his or her property.

Even their advice, although with good intentions, is flawed. I don't think its necessary or better for security to leave bulk head or porch lights on all night, even if it only costs a few pounds. The best security is the light being triggered by accurately aimed sensors on well shielded lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just before Christmas I sold all my astro gear including the observatory as I was so fed up with a street light on all four corners of my garden plus my knees are so bad I can hardly walk, SO guess my reaction when earlier this year they switched of our lights at 12am )()(*&&^^%%$$££*. So as not to lose all contact with imaging I bought a Sky Tracker up at Kelling Heath.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been out much after mid night to gauge the difference. Just went out with my camera to do a before and after but was too slow for the before. Too much wine I think. Looking north the change was quite dramatic but less so in other directions, looking west was worse, a very obvious glow.

But it's a great start, and hopefully it will spread and light pollution will move onto a downward trend .

Great Leighs racecourse possibly finally getting the go-ahead - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/27190071

So expect skies in the local vicinity (40 mile radius) to be floodlit from now on.

I've just emailed this to Mrs Ruth Quinn. Probably won't make any difference but nothing to lose.

Dear Mrs Quinn,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/27190071

I've just read the article regarding the possible commencement of fixtures at Great Leigh's race course. It is indeed good news that the facilities that have been lying idle for some time are going to be used.

However I can't help noticing the huge array of floodlights surrounding the course. You may or may not be aware of the part-night lighting schemes that are being introduced around the country. Partly to save money but more importantly to reduce light pollution and bring back the night sky for everyone's enjoyment. Essex is no exception and they have been rolling out their plans over the past year or two. France have gone a step further and introduced legislation on a national basis. The following link is a very good article that appeared in the Guardian which you might find interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/30/lights-out-france-shops-offices

Also the campaign for dark skies

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/

I don't want to be a party pooper, but could I ask on behalf of us all, that the flood lights are not left on unnecessarily throughout the night and that they are used on a sensible basis. In fact an acknowledgement to Essex Council that you intend to take light pollution seriously might help you with any permissions you require.

That was a waste of time. Had a reply which said "The BHA does not own the racecourse and therefore has no direct control over when the owner uses the floodlights. That is a matter for the planners in terms of any Conditions that they apply to planning permissions."

The owner is a company called Great Leighs Estates Limited which was incorporated last year. So could write to Essex Council I suppose but I got the impression that if they want to light up most of the surrounding area they can if they want.

We've just walked back from a friends, about 2 miles, and passed 1 person. So the street lights would have been helping zilch, and even fewer as we move into the early hours.

Archived