Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colchester still on course for tonight by the looks of it.  Though there was some discussion ongoing about certain town centre streets where CBC have CCTV installed but ECC were planning to switch off! Weather is supposed to be clearing up at about 3:00am Tuesday right through to 4:00am Wednesday, so might be able to pop outside for a quick look and report back.  Working though so won't be planning any major imaging sessions!

Main issue is that we have the military corrective centre about 3 miles to the North of us which has plenty of lighting.  On the other hand to the South the main source is West Mersea which is also going off, and after that it's just the North Sea.

Basildon switch off been put back by another week to next Monday now.

apparently..... Basildon DC are trying sue Essex CC over the compulsory switch off...  

How retarded are Bas council, the idea is to save the county thousands of pounds,  so they chose to folk out a ridiculous load of cash suing them selfs!!!  

Colchester still on course for tonight by the looks of it.  Though there was some discussion ongoing about certain town centre streets where CBC have CCTV installed but ECC were planning to switch off! Weather is supposed to be clearing up at about 3:00am Tuesday right through to 4:00am Wednesday, so might be able to pop outside for a quick look and report back.  Working though so won't be planning any major imaging sessions!

Main issue is that we have the military corrective centre about 3 miles to the North of us which has plenty of lighting.  On the other hand to the South the main source is West Mersea which is also going off, and after that it's just the North Sea.

Frustrated that after the delay we now have a full Moon, so really it will be another week until we get the full darkness effect.

I'm suprised they haven't just delayed it until next week like Basildon.. they must be confident on them being switched off tomorrow I suppose.

Hi tddun

Where have you seen basildon's been delayed until next week? On there website it just says date "to be confirmed" now.

Hi tddun

Where have you seen basildon's been delayed until next week? On there website it just says date "to be confirmed" now.

On their website this morning it said switch off in Basildon would commence 25th of November, like we've noticed, that's changed now.

On their website this morning it said switch off in Basildon would commence 25th of November, like we've noticed, that's changed now.

There's obviously a lot of behind the scenes activity. As Craig said above, a lot of people wasting our money arguing about something that's going to happen, when they should be getting on with running the council.

I got a response from Hawkwell Parish council after I complained in the manner they reported keeping the lights on..I did ask them that if they were not in favour of turning off the lights at all, then what will they be doing to reduce the effects of light pollution by THEIR lights.

it went along the lines of...'Thanks for the comments...will give those to the Council when in next meets....PS we have no plans to change our lights in the forseable future....Regards'

I go around turning my own lights off after my children all the time trying to save energy for myself. I would ask cocnucils to 'try' it. if they are worried about people getting home after a night of merriment, then howabout Sunday to Thursday they are off, and Friday and Saturday they are on. Would seem to appease most of the die hard clubbers within the council....

Hawkwell seems to have an older population, and to be honest not a lot of people should really be out and about after midnight (most of the time I am asleep by then anyway!)i would have thought. I wonder how many people in the areas that have been switched off are really causing an uproar anymore. its all scaremongering.

I will still be out tonight though double star splitting....should be fun regardless of the lights...

Colchester's switch off was supposed to be midnight, but was postponed. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24991774

As I understand it the Basildon area plan was also affected.

The responsibility for the last minute change again hangs with Chelmsford councillor Stephen Robinson, who apparently stands up for people's right to be scared of their own imagination.

What a joke, why not leave them on where the supposedly unsafe pavements are then. It's just stalling tactics. I suppose in another couple of weeks it'll be the wrong kind of snow. How do these people get in power.

Ok...   so after a meeting yesterday it was decided that basildon will keep it lights on for another 2 weeks.

The reason behind this is that in 'certain' areas the pavements are deemed unsafe... 

No confirmation of this on their website? Any news about Colchester?

Haha, guess who's birthday that is ? :)

Would almost seem like it's meant to be! :smiley:

Anyone got a good estimate of what the change is going to be? I believe on rather good nights I can see traces.. just traces of the milky way.

Would almost seem like it's meant to be! :smiley:

Anyone got a good estimate of what the change is going to be? I believe on rather good nights I can see traces.. just traces of the milky way.

Don't know tbh.  It's not too bad down this way as we're been Colchester and the sea so really it is only the north that has bad LP, can usually get a good view of the Milky Way if the sky is reasonably transparent (only a few miles out of town).  I assume you are somewhere in the town then?  Would have thought the difference would be much more dramatic for you unless you are right in the centre near the main roads which are being left on.  At least the moon should be out of the way for the big switch off, just hope the weather cooperates.

Archived