Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i dont really understand is how they can object at the 10th hour, surly all objections should be maid before the decision is maid final. 

If ECC or BDC sent a letter though my door saying they were digging up the road and i forgot to raise my objections before the deadline, i pretty sure if i went upto them on the day work was ment to commence and said 'Ohh yeah i forgot to mention I object to you digging up my Road" im pretty sure they would tell me Hard Luck.

It's just stalling tactics.

I think ECC timed this wrong - they should of looked at turning them off in June/July when we have short evenings and it doesnt get "full dark" - I think from a psychological point of view it would of won more people over.

When they say 'closed for the winter' I suspect they mean that the main walks around the sea wall are closed, which I think they do to protect the over-wintering birds from disturbance.  They can't physically close the site since it is a public right of way as far as the farm, and the last time I went down there (a few years ago admittedly) there was no gate on the track to the small car park near the barn.  You might just chance it for a look see - they can't stop you going down as far as the farm and parking there at the very least, since it is a public right of way. I can't really see that anyone is going to object since you aren't causing a nuisance or an obstruction, but there is always a possibility of getting some hassle from the farmer I suppose.

I don't really know anywhere else in the vicinity that isn't right next to the road and subject to disturbance due to car lights and passers by.

Made a trip down there the other day, just stopped halfway down Copt. Hall Lane for 10 minutes to have a look out and see how dark it was, no serious observing. Managed to get there at midnight to see the 'switch-off'. Got to say I was hoping to see more stars than I did there.. think really though for any dramatic views of the night sky I'm probably out of luck anywhere in East Anglia. Perhaps if I would have stayed a bit longer and become fully dark adapted I would have seen more, but I think for the view I'm after it isn't no 20-30 minute drive away!

Been working with Knobby on a few potential sites and also been driving around some and here's a few i've found:

+51 44'7.08", +0 19'3.76"

This one has a small area of concrete and is in a dark spot on the light pollution map.

Been trying to get access to the angling club area in the field south of the co-ordinates above, but no one seems to know of a contact to check that out.

I did speak to Hodgkins Farm across the road and they recommended this airfield, they say that it is unused and a few searches show its owned by the local council and used by the Essex Shooting Ground. I sent the shooting club an email to see if I could get some details but seems as its not owned by a local we should just be able to use it:

51°43'53?N 000°18'09?E

Plenty of parking too!

Archived