SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Part Night Lighting Essex

Scooot

I was curious to know when, if ever, this was going to be introduced near me so I sent an email to Essex Council. For info this was their reply:

"We are in the process of installing the equipment on our lighting columns to enable the introduction of part night lighting, this process is due to be completed by the Autumn of this year. We are also consulting with Borough/District Councils, Parish/Town Councils & the Emergency Services in each area before we implement the move to part night lighting in that area.

Therefore it is possible that changes will not be made in your area before 2014.

The part night lighting web page is: http://www.essexhighways.org/Street-Lighting/Part-Night-Lighting.aspx"

So there could be dark at the end of the tunnel!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good.

Nottinghamshire County Council are in the midst of doing something similar. Principally residential roads in villages. Unfortunately none near enough for me to benefit.

But I hope that when people start to get used to it, they won't be frightened of the dark. It will be seen as something ordinary and more schemes can get underway without too much fuss and panic.

The town where I just moved to, 1 mile west of Essex, street lights turn off at 12.15am. Will be interesting what effect this has (further than scaring the cXXp out of me when walking the dog late at night). I guess it will help a little, but the orange glow from greater London to the South is the main issue for me, not the local light pollution.....I also observed up Clavering/ Berden way, a rural area in the North part of Essex. This whole area has no street lights, period. Again the Southern horizon is lousy, from greater London far far off......

The town where I just moved to, 1 mile west of Essex, street lights turn off at 12.15am. Will be interesting what effect this has (further than scaring the cXXp out of me when walking the dog late at night). I guess it will help a little, but the orange glow from greater London to the South is the main issue for me, not the local light pollution.....I also observed up Clavering/ Berden way, a rural area in the North part of Essex. This whole area has no street lights, period. Again the Southern horizon is lousy, from greater London far far off......

Yes I expect you're right. I can see the glow from Basildon and the A127 so I don't suppose all of that will vanish, but I do notice it to be darker in the early hours when more lights are off so hopefully less street lights will help.

This is good news Scoot. Every little step to cutting down light levels is a step in the right direction. Maybe the big cities turn will come sooner than we expect. It would be great if the French lighting intiative meant Britain rethinks its wasteful use of lighting. Fingers and toes all crossed.

Cheers,

Steve

But it seems like people keep coming up with excuses to keep them on all night.

Then there should also be a plan B where lights are deemed a requirement...either shield them or remove the older orange lighting, with something more efficeint in terms of energy, as well as LP reduction....

just my opinion of course....but do hope Hockley is in there. they are just building some new houses behind my property, and can see the increase in road lighting being a bit of a pain...not to mention all those new 'intruder' lights :shocked:

Then there should also be a plan B where lights are deemed a requirement...either shield them or remove the older orange lighting, with something more efficeint in terms of energy, as well as LP reduction....

just my opinion of course....but do hope Hockley is in there. they are just building some new houses behind my property, and can see the increase in road lighting being a bit of a pain...not to mention all those new 'intruder' lights :shocked:

I totally agree with you Steve. I've been doing a bit of reading about the councils plans, and as far I as I can tell, they're limited to turning some off after midnight, which I think is good of course. I also think they should be considering the use of full-cutoff luminaires and low pressure sodium lighting where appropriate. The full-cutoff shine the light downwards and low sodium lighting uses a single wave length which is better for light pollution. At least that's my understanding of this article in wicki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution#Improving_lighting_fixtures

This is the council document that was approved by the council

http://cmis.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexCmis5/document.ashx?czJKcaeAi5tUFL1DTL2UE4zNRBcoShgo=w%2bEW1ruqIf156G4zHs0AQGEv3nppEEy7hTeXMARDhrlFBYN7mqnXsQ%3d%3d&rUzwRPf%2bZ3zd4E7Ikn8Lyw%3d%3d=pwRE6AGJFLDNlh225F5QMaQWCtPHwdhUfCZ%2fLUQzgA2uL5jNRG4jdQ%3d%3d&mCTIbCubSFfXsDGW9IXnlg%3d%3d=hFflUdN3100%3d&kCx1AnS9%2fpWZQ40DXFvdEw%3d%3d=hFflUdN3100%3d&uJovDxwdjMPoYv%2bAJvYtyA%3d%3d=ctNJFf55vVA%3d&FgPlIEJYlotS%2bYGoBi5olA%3d%3d=NHdURQburHA%3d&d9Qjj0ag1Pd993jsyOJqFvmyB7X0CSQK=ctNJFf55vVA%3d&WGewmoAfeNR9xqBux0r1Q8Za60lavYmz=ctNJFf55vVA%3d&WGewmoAfeNQ16B2MHuCpMRKZMwaG1PaO=ctNJFf55vVA%3d

I've seen the proposed switch-off plans for Braintree and Witham, and the only streetlights to be left on would be around junctions (which is sensible) - for example, http://www.scribd.com/doc/100937092/Braintree-East (all the green dots are lights that would turn off at midnight)

Part of the problem is still that the majority of streetlights in use aren't full cut-off lights and they're mounted on poles far higher than is needed.

• 3 months later...

knobby this sounds good, hope it translates to better skies for you at home. In bishop's stortford (big-up the massif !), lights go off at midnight. I've recorded scores of readings with my unihedron sky quality meter. FWIW, lights off in b/s translates to a statistically significant, albeit minor darkening of the sky background. I just need them to turn off stansted airport, Harlow, and greater London now

• 2 months later...

We have been promised that there is a Derbyshire rolling programme of street lights being switched off. This is the tail end of a 4 year effort to save money , encompassing the hours 12-5 am.

This will not apply to the town centres or crime ridden areas. Seeing as we are neither, I can hardly wait, hurrah !

Nick.

This is on the front page of this weeks Essex Chronicle. The headline is as follows:- "65% of you don't want street lights switched off".

Residents express safety issues whilst the council likes the idea of a 20% reduction in its energy bill.

Just had a look at a couple of he articles

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Revealed-streets-plunged-darkness-big-light/story-19656676-detail/story.html

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/POLL-light-streetlamp-switch/story-19656719-detail/story.html

From what I can gather it doesn't seem to cause an increase in crime, if anything the reverse, but we'll have to see. I think once people get used to it, it will be fine. In the end the drive to save money will be the deciding factor.

Archived