NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi!

F1Bird

Just wanted to say hi now I've finally settled on a forum! Total telescope newbie (Celestron 114 EQ for xmas) but a lifelong interest in astronomy (always good to know what you're looking at from the beer garden). As the weather has been so poor since xmas I've only managed a couple of nights observing. I have established that the red dot finder is useless & so have been mostly flailing around trying to get the large, bright wonder above my head that is Jupiter in my sights and failing miserably! Frustrating! Nevertheless, I have at least established that there are stars in the sky which can be seen through my scope! If only I knew which ones they were.....! Think I'm going to be needing a lot of help! :huh:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Lots of help here as when you need it but it sounds the first thing you need to do is to align the finder correctly to the scope which you can do by following

video. I would also recommend getting hold of a book entitled, "Turn Left at Orion" which lists 100 objects to find as well the maps and instructions on how to find them, it will get you off to a great start. In addition a Telrad finder might be a useful alternative to the finder that you have and it allows you to point the scope whilst maintaining an eye on the night sky itself to assist positioning.
video will tell you a little bit more about this product and how it works. Hope the above helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome! Hope you're all still as welcoming after a few rounds of stupid questions! Now, which forum do I need to go to to ask which end of the telescope I should be looking through...... :grin:

Archived