Greetings from Manchester

Jamasia

I've long been interested and fascinated by the night sky, but this is the first time I've joined a stargazing forum. I can't identify all the constellations yet, but I live close enough to an airport that half the sky is obscured, so it's not my fault. I used to have a telescope, but couldn't use it at university so sold it and wishing I hadn't. I currently take photos of things I find interesting using my Canon 1100D and, most often, my 300mm lens. My stargazing ambition? Get an identifyable photograph of another galaxy.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

Given a suitable mount it's perfectly achievable to get a decent image of the Andromeda galaxy with a DSLR and 300mm lens. In fact 300mm might actually be a touch too much focal length. I did the same using my 450D, 200mm lens and EQ3-2 last year. Now is perhaps not the best time of year to attempt it; late summer might be the ideal.

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. Shame about the airport being so close but light pollution won't prohibit you from observing planets, the moon, double stars. Hopefully there is a location nearby that will afford you slightly darker skies to help you see some of the fainter objects which is what I have to do by travelling about 10 miles out of a large city. :smiley:

Clear skies and hope you realise your imaging ambition!

James

Archived