Hello from Australia's South West

Hzadbhat

Hi all.

I live in the wine and surf region of Margaret River in Australia.

As of today i now have an 8 inch Newtonian Reflector.

I only have a basic knowledge of astronomy but have recently decided to pursue it as a regular activity. I am sure that I will learn lots of things from the members of this site.

Any tips hints or suggestions would be appreciated, and apologies in advance for the (dumb) questions i'm bound to pose.

Thanks all.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined today, too!

We'll be in Margs next week. Showing visitors to Aus the SW, with special attention paid to the wineries, so will sadly not be able to pack the scope. May use the trip to seek suitable viewing spots for future travels though.

Hi Hzadbhat and welcome from the whiskey and surf region of the North coast of Ireland.

Astronomy is a fascinating pastime and I'm guessing you probably get more that your fair share of clear sky down under. I'm no expert but you may find the following advice useful:

Get to learn the sky. A planishere is a very handy and inexpensive tool that you can take outside and learn the layout constellations and stars. You can download 'planetarium' type programmes on you computer which can be amazingly helpful - stellarium is excellent and it's free!

Get some help with those interesting objects in the sky - there are thousands of stars visible in the night sky, but most of them aren't that interesting. You can let a list and descriptions of the most interesting objects in the night sky from books (I have 'Turn Left at Orion' which is very good), Astronomy magazines, and numerous inter-web sites.

An 8" reflector is a great telescope and will give you the power to see a multitude of amazing deep sky objects. I'm guessing you've also got a few eye pieces that came with the telescope and maybe a barlow lens. I would get comfortable with these and not worry too much about sparkley items the retail outlets too soon.

Welcome to SGL

No wine and surf here in East Yorkshire, I can offer fish and Yorkshire puddings!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Real Yorkshire pud? Nice. Oh yeah, we've got a few fish here (hehehe), Maybe a cray or two... Nothing special. Note lack of humour here.

It's been great to be welcomed by so many people.

Archived