Hi , Hello Everyone

pumablood

Hi

My names Peter and I'd just like to say hello to all. I'm new to star gazing and I'm looking to purchase 10 x 50 Binoculars or 15 x 70 's but I'm struggling to find a good pair I found some Pentax ones but they're made in China (No disrespect to china but I don't want anything made they're in the past I've found items made in china to have inferior parts and cheap shoddy workmanship) so if anyone knows of a good pair under £100 I'd greatly appreciate your input .. Thanks Peter

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum. I understand where you're coming from but I wouldn't disregard all chinese manufacturing, as some it is very good and has certainly enabled most of us to get started in astronomy with decent sized kit. :smiley: You might want to post your binocular question over on the equipment section or the binocular section as you are more likely to receive more responses to your question.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Peter and welcome. The key with optics is you get what you pay for. Therefore, if the bino's you've seen are expensive it generally means they are made with better materials. That's not to say that they will be brilliant just because the name Pentax is displayed on them, but bear in mind that Pentax are a good brand and they would not allow their name to be associated with shoddy stuff any more so than they do with their photographic arm. Pentax lenses are some of the best available. You'll find a lot of astro stuff is made in China these days. My Skywatcher scope is made in China, and it is a fine instrument and well worth the money. Have a think :)

Best thing is try them if you can in a store. Check for the sharpness (including edge of view softness/sharpness), purple fringing and weight. Also ask the staff what they will recommend. A good pair of bino's can be a lifetime investment. I have a pair of 12x50 Tasco binoculars which I bought when I was 18 yrs old and they offer as clear a view now as they did then.

All the best....

Hi Peter, welcome along - bins are a great way to start but remember that 15x70 are generally heavy and take some controlling for extended periods at x15 as you tire stars become like fireflys, a tripod or as a minimum a monopod is normally advised.

Try and find a local astro group in your area and go along and see what people are using there, I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly people happy to let you try their kit so you can make an informed decision.

Archived