NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Re-inspired Amateur Astronomer

CliffatBeds

Hi, just joined this Stargazers Lounge to help me set up my Celestron G-8 Scope for astro-photography.

I have a Celestron G-8 Scope mounted to a CG5 mount - Not the Advanced series. I have only used it so far over the years for visual observations since it was too expensive to enter the digital astro-photography world.

I am now attempting to use my laptop and second hand Cannon 20d camera to take pictures of the stars and planets.

- My first hurdle was to construct a secure mount - 4" wooden post with home made adapter that holds the tripod head section.

- My second problem is accurately aligning my CG5 EQ mount to the North Celestial Pole. Ideally I could use a Polar Alignment Scope. Unfortunately I did not get the Celestron Part #94221 initially. Now it looks like it is obsolete.

I have posted a question in the forum to help resolve this dilemma.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and welcome to SGL :)

You will still be able to polar align your mount, and more accurately than with a polar scope, which are at best just a rough guide.

The process is called 'drift aligning' and uses the movement of the stars to facilitate accurate setting up of the mount.

There are various ways it can be done, probably worth reading around a bit to find a style that suits your circumstances.

You'll love astro-photography....... :)

Cheers

Tim

Archived