Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST, is it worth it?

Dan Leach

I would to be able to do direct observing of the sun and getting filters and stuff for my 200mm reflector worries me somewhat.

What are peoples experiences of this scope and its eyepieces?

Could I take pictures through with a DSLR or webcam?

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had mine around a year and love it! It's so easy to use and the views through it are amazing. By adjusting focus and the tuning ring you can bring different features out such as sunspots, filaments, faculae and, best of all for me, the prominences which you don't see with white light solar astronomy.

I will let others comment on the imaging side as I have no experience, although I've read that it is sometimes difficult to get enough focus range with DSLRs in particular so be aware of this.

Cheers

Stu

Visually the PST is a cracking scope. I've had mine since last May and am thoroughly enjoying it. The only down side is that I don't get to use it often enough!

Photographically I do not think the PST is the ideal choice. You cannot just plug in a DSLR as the scope will never reach focus and it seems generally quite difficult to get a camera to come to focus in an unmodified PST. Also the sweet spot in the filtration will not allow you to take full disc images in a single frame. Having said that there is some great imagery available in the solar imaging section taken through a PST so it can be done successfully.

I am just exploring imaging through a PST myself so have relatively limited experience. I am sure other, more experienced folk will add there thoughts.

when i had mine i loved every second of it, and begrudenly had to sell it but i will be getting another soon!!

the main difference, white light observing (ur scope + baader solar film) you can only see sun spots (as the sun is actually "black and white" not yellow) so all you see is white with black dots (have a look in the imaging section for white light) with the coronado (and lunt) you see the sun in Ha or yellow, in the frequency it is. you can see sun spots developing, the suns face changing live in front of you (litterly every moving as ur looking) and see filiments moving and busting on the suns surface its amazing

i tried taking images with my xbox camera (old white model) and its possiable, but you may need a barlow lens it depends so i will let some one more quailified answer that proberly and the same with the lens, i my self had a zoom lens which worked great but you can use any lens in the coronado as the filters are in the scope

Good, I was hoping the answers would be like that :)

If its very good for observing but needs some thinking about to do imaging then Im quite happy just to observe for now.

Apart from quality,image and useability Is there any real difference between the scopes on this page.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Solar_Telescopes__56.html

Thanks all

sadly i cant help any further but im glad i helped above! iv only looked through a PST which is the basic one, the solar max, well i would describe the jump from a PST to one of them the same as buying a VW golf, to buying a mercedes E class..... in quailty seen and imaging potentional hopefully some one will be able to help:)

I forgot to mention eyepieces. I use a Televue 11mm Plossl which to me gives very sharp views at just about optimum magnification most of the time. I have a 9mm BGO which works well for very good seeing conditions but us often tpo high magnification. I do also have a 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom for when I want to vary the magnification but mostly stick to the Plossl. A 12 or 13mm ortho would probably work well too.

Stu

Apart from quality,image and useability Is there any real difference between the scopes on this page.

http://www.telescope...scopes__56.html

The double stack version narrows the band width and this helps to bring out additional surface detail. It's somewhat subjective (in my opinion) as to whether it justifies the additional expense. The Solar Max scopes give you a combination of the narrow band width and better flexibility with regard to imaging. There may be other advantages but they are a little out of my price range so have not really explored :smiley:

I have a lunt LS35 (similar) and find it quite a compromise - I have to use a barlow in order to get focus for imaging and the helical focuser is not ideal. It's fun, but I'm getting much better images with a Herschel wedge in white light.

I'm going to try Starry Dave's software next for taking mosaics - failing that I will upgrade to a larger Ha scope with good focuser. With what I now know, I would definitely have started with a larger scope.

I forgot to mention eyepieces. I use a Televue 11mm Plossl which to me gives very sharp views at just about optimum magnification most of the time. I have a 9mm BGO which works well for very good seeing conditions but us often tpo high magnification. I do also have a 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom for when I want to vary the magnification but mostly stick to the Plossl. A 12 or 13mm ortho would probably work well too.

Stu

Ahh, so you dont have to use coronado eyepieces in these scopes?

I was looking at these:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Coronado_Cemax_Eyepiece_Set.html

But if I can use my Televue's, Ill stick with them :)

No, you don't have to use the Coronado ep's. They are quite pricey and get mixed reviews as to whether they do increase contrast or not. I'm quite happy with the views I get with standard ep's.

On the subject of the double stacked version, I've not looked through one but from what I have read they are probably more suitable for imaging than visual. I understand they darken the view of prominences, but give better detail of surface granulation and other features.

Stu

It's Jan 3rd and in my head I've already spent my astro budget for the year a dozen times over. After the positive responses on this thread, I might have to add the PST to my wish list!

Dan,

First of all, I wouldn't be concerned about making a Baader Solar film filter for your scope and enjoying the white light view. Hundreds, if not thousands, of amateurs around the world safely use the Baader filter. Try it.

The PST doesn't need special eyepieces. It's a great introduction to Ha solar observing and by adding a barlow element (or using a suitable eyepiece which allows to to connect your camera) will provide some excellent images.

It is possible to take pics with a dslr although after not long of doing that you realise that a good mono webcam is far less hassle.

But the best way to go about it is to use what you have at hand at first and come to terms with that and then upgrade.

Ahh, so you dont have to use coronado eyepieces in these scopes?

I was looking at these:

http://www.telescope...epiece_Set.html

But if I can use my Televue's, Ill stick with them :)

I looked through Stu's PST recently and it provided wonderful views of proms and granulation etc. re your eyepieces, you don't need to use the coronado eyepieces but anything bigger than a Nagler T6 would not be a good idea (I think that PSTs only allow 1.25" eyepieces).

I use a white light baader filter with my 6" f11 and it's excellent. I have also looked through a scope with a Baader wedge on a good quality achro (they only work with refractors) and it was a fair step up in image quality from the baader film but still 'just' sunspots/granulation.

People say if buying used, 'rust' on the filter can be an issue; don't know much about this though.

I bought my PST in 2005 for the Annular eclipse in 2005 in Spain. It was used again for the Total eclipse in 2006 (Turkey) - I was a very popular guy in Side, with lots of people viewing the Sun and the Proms.

Since that time I have used the PST 100s of times and usually check the Sun most days when its clear. I usually use a cheap Plossl (15mm) but also use the Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. The visible view of the solar disc and proms is very good.

In 2012 I took the PST to California to view the Annular eclipse and the Venus Transit. I don't take many photos through the PST but I attach this one of the Venus Transit taken with a Canon 50D and the Hyperion Zoom.

post-1628-0-93480800-1357295953_thumb.jp

I think that a PST is very expensive when all you can do with it is observe/image a single star. Having said that, if Solar observing/imaging is your thing then i would say a PST is essential. White light filters on a normal scope just aint gonna cut the mustard if solar obsering is your thing.

Hi,

I started with Baader solar film, great for the sunspots, which I found so interesting bought a PST to see more of the surface detail and the prominences. The first time I used it there was a giant prom which just looked so spectacular I couldn't believe it. I moved on to imaging using a mono Imaging Soucre camera (DMK21), but had to use a small Barlow lens to get focus.

I got some really great shots with my PST, see www.drrobin.co.uk/sun.htm and scroll about half way down, but my efforts are no where near as good as some people on here (look in solar imaging).

I find that solar observing and imaging is very absorbing and since you do it during the day it helps keep your interest during the summer months. Certainly it is far easier to show a friend or relative the picture of the sun during the day, than it is to drag them out on a night.

I would say that a PST is an ideal way to get into solar hydrogen alpha, it is not too expensive and can give good results. The better Solarmax and bigger Lunt scopes come with much better performance but at a high price and it would be hard to justify until you have had a go beforehand.

I hope this helps.

I think that a PST is very expensive when all you can do with it is observe/image a single star. Having said that, if Solar observing/imaging is your thing then i would say a PST is essential. White light filters on a normal scope just aint gonna cut the mustard if solar obsering is your thing.

The thing though is that single star when using an Ha scope is probably the most dynamic object you can see through a telescope.

It's never the same scene even just a few hours from the last look. It's fascinating to watch the looping proms, see them collapse or expand, you can be lucky and watch the bright flares emerge and the surface detail is mystifying. I never grow tired of it.

Some people spend their lives looking at the Moon and that never changes but each time I look at Sol it's different.

That said I can see that Solar observing wouldn't be for everyone but that's the great thing about this past time, the amount of choice and freedom to enjoy the things you like.

That's what convinced me George, I was amazed at the detail you could see with the eye.... It is one area where I think visual really rivals imaging, except for the higher end kit obviously.

As Pibbles says, it is ever changing, surprisingly fast at times.......I spotted a jet prominence the other day which appeared and disappeared within probably 15mins, whilst at other times I have spent the whole day (not continuously!) watching the changes in looping prominences. It is fascinating, particularly once you understand the scale and speed of what you are looking at.

Stu

The PST sounds incredible, I would also love to have one, maybe next year.

That's what convinced me George, I was amazed at the detail you could see with the eye.... It is one area where I think visual really rivals imaging, except for the higher end kit obviously.

As Pibbles says, it is ever changing, surprisingly fast at times.......I spotted a jet prominence the other day which appeared and disappeared within probably 15mins, whilst at other times I have spent the whole day (not continuously!) watching the changes in looping prominences. It is fascinating, particularly once you understand the scale and speed of what you are looking at.

Stu

It sounds incredible, am I right in thinking you can use normal eyepieces in the PST? What eyepiece do you use most and how big is the sun through it?

Archived