Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST, is it worth it?

Dan Leach

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got the Modern Astronomy dovetail yet? We already had one (to mount a camera) but it only had one screw. We used that one and ordered a replacement dovetail. Thought we could then add a second screw. The one which arrived today (with the two screws) has got slightly longer screws than the one we already had. The longer screws we received are slightly too long and will push out through the the scope side of the clamshell, so hubbie added a couple of washers.

Mine came supplied with 2 and they work pretty much perfectly.

I am surprised the scope doesnt come with a dovetail. That is a slightly odd decision.

To be honest the cheapest mount would be a regular camera tripod, the PST is made to screw directly onto one.

I'm not certain I'd want the cheapest tripod I could find but for visual all you need is a stable tripod that can hold the weight of the PST.

I'll second this, a decent camera tripod is fine but the type of head on it makes a difference. I initially had mine mounted on a ball and socket head which worked but was very fiddly to release/adjust/tighten needing three hands. I now mount the PST on a standard video type head with a long handle which doubles up as a tensioner. The newer pistol grip heads look promising, the type where you squeeze it to release and adjust, then when you let go it holds fast again.

My PST arrived late this afternoon, it's been raining all day & just as it arrived the clouds parted.. :rolleyes: Quickly stuck it on a light weight manfrotto to have first light.. wow.. happy days.. sunspot & prom. Can't wait to have a go at imaging in the day time for a change!

Archived