NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello All!

Binxie

Hi all.

I've just found this forum through a review of the scope I just brought and having read through a few threads I've decided to join up. My name is Jason and I live in Essex. I've been considering getting a decent scope for a long while but it seemed everytime I had the money something would go wrong and I'd have to spend the money.

Anyway, for Christmas my Missus finally brought me a cheapy Jessops reflector scope for half-price and although I'm well aware of its limitations I must say I'm really happy with it so far. I've been getting good views of the Moon and found Jupiter quite by accident (much to my surprise as I didn't expect Jupiters Moons to appear so far away from it) and I'm just wondering what the next steps could be. I'm wairing for Mars and Saturn to come into night time viewing later on this year.

Its only a 80mm reflector, so just wondering if there is any chance I could pick out any deep sky objects with it at all?

Hello Jason and welcome to SGL. Congratulations on getting your scope at last! Saturn is currently in the morning sky, although it is quite low in the southern sky. Have you heard of / downloaded Stellarium yet? It's a great piece of free software that will help you find your way around. Mars is still some months away from opposition when it is at it's best and is always a difficult planet to see any detail on.

All the best

Hi Jason and welcome to SGL. As David says, if you haven't done so already, download Stellarium as it is an exellent resource. There is a good book you could consider called Turn Left at Orion. This will also tell you which objects you can expect to see with your scope. So far as what you can expect to see with it, the brighter DSO's will be within reach, albeit under light polluted urban skies may only appear as a bright smudge to you. Dark skies are the key. You would likely see more with your scope from a truely dark site than I would with my 130mm reflector in the back garden.

Enjoy your viewing and have a read (do a search on here or You tube) about star tests for collimation. It is an easy way of seeing if your scope is correctly collimated or not. If it isn't then you can adjust it to improve your view slightly, although smaller aperture instruments tend to be a bit more robust in this regard than the larger ones.

HTH :)

Archived