Hi from complete novice.

foghorn

Hi Folks,

Completely new to Astronomy but have always found the night sky interesting. About a week ago myself and one of my boys took to the garden with a very basic scope and after a fair bit of trial and error located a what looked like a bright star which turned out to be Jupiter even managed to focus and see three moons we felt quite chuffed with ourselves.

Anyhow that ignited a fair bit of interest and I decided to invest in a telescope which I have spent the last few days looking into what was available.

I first started looking at the Sky-Watcher Heritage-130P FlexTube Dobsonian , then the Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P (EQ2) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope then followed by the Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P SupaTrak AUTO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector and finally the Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P (AZ) SynScan GO-TO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope. You will have realised by now that the cost was going up.

This morning I had second thoughts and thought for £300 which the Sky-Watcher 130p GO-TO costs I reckoned that if I invested all the money in the telescope not the tracking devices I should be able to get a better telescope also when I thought back to last week when I was able to locate Jupiter unaided with the scope perhaps that is part of the fun.

This afternoon with some help from reading members of this forums comments I pulled the trigger on the Sky-Watcher Skyliner-200P Classic Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope.

Hope I have made a good choice!

foghorn

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI and welcome to the forum. As I was reading your opening comments and the fact that your research led to an increasing budget, I wondered to myself if it might go as far as to include the cost of a 200P and that you could be persuaded to move away from the Goto part of the budget to be exchanged for a scope with larger aperture. I am so pleases for you that you were able to discover that possibility for yourself, as it is the UK's best selling telescope and for good reason. So congratulations are in order and you certainly won't be disappointed. There is of course always the possibility of putting the 200P on a goto mount in the future (...with the help of some scope rings and a dovetail) which is another way of using this great scope.

Clear skies for its arrival and enjoy the forum

James

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The web seller came good on their promise today that although they were out of stock on Thursday they were expecting new stock on Friday and would send out immediately, should be able to track the parcel from tomorrow.

It would be nice to get a few clear nights during the Christmas holidays.

foghorn

Archived