Kit ive had in the last 2 months :

• SW ED80
  • SW ST80
  • Modded 550
  • QHY5
  • 6" RC GSO
  • 2" MFW
  • Mammut CCD

i have been chopping and changing kit alot recently an now think i have finally found what im happy with. The kit thats in my SIG is what i have settled on for AP. some may say i had a bit of a cloudy crisis. dont ask but at the time it seemed like a good idea to sell the 550d but i regretted it and ended up with a 450D which im not fussed about just needs modding now :) has any one else had this crazyness ??

Dan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're only playing at it Andy, I've got through 2 SCT's, 3 Refractors, 3 newtonians, a 12" Dob, and a PST, not to mention 3 guide cameras, planetary camera, two DSLRs, and three CCD cameras.....not forgetting 2 HEQ5 Pro's, an EQ6, EQ2, and innumerable other astro items......Dont ever add everything up, you'll get a heart attack!

:)

Tim

PS, I am selling my beloved C9.25 very soon, and the modded 350D, so perhaps I'm not beyond being cured :D

I've owned 25+ scopes since I've been in the hobby. Of those just a couple were new. Buying used is a great way to try something and then move it on at minimal / no loss if it does not suit or your interests change.

11 months into the hobby, and have SCT with goto, 4 fracs between 80mm and 125mm - sold one other 100mm frac. Got one manual eq mount and a second altaz goto mount. Thats not counting the DMK camera, assorted brackets for DLSRs and compacts, plus eyepieces, barlows, boxes, filters, powertanks, finderscopes, tube rings, books, collimation tools, magazines, redlight torches, and warm clothing! Oh, and lots and lots and lots of clouds :(

I think I saw a planet or something twinkling in the sky once.... .

Given the weather we've had, have you used any of it? :D

Hehe - precious little!

But I really understand where Daniel was coming from - maybe a lot of us new starters go through this as they try to work out what it is they actually want from the hobby, and then what they need to achieve that. I guess I could have researched more, but then reading the forum keeps opening up new possibilities as I see what others do or have. So in fact its all you guys and gals' fault! And I'm innocent and not mad.... .:grin:

I think I'm the same I always seem to be buying or selling something. I've just placed yet another advert this time for my 150p so I can buy its more expensive big brother. I've also recently bought an ST80 which won't get used because I'll be using a finder guider, A TS dual saddle bar which might also not get used after I've changed my mind about a dual imaging rig, a Celestron ED80, 3 pairs on bins one of which I've sold on, a CLS clip filter, a Baader MPCC, and I've also probably spent at least a grand on the obsy so far. theres other stuff as well of just can't think of right now:D

If its a one off I wouldn't worry but if thats every month then ermm!:D I think I average about 100-150 a month on stuff, but I'm not on a massive wage being 3 days a week plus every other weekend so as a ratio its quite bad:D

I guess im guilty of having to much astro gear i have a 180 skymax that only seems to rise like a vampire from its wooden coffin a couple of times a year!

I have the antares 105 f15 elite refractor that i should not have bought, purely because its such a long thing :shocked:

I have the Tal 100rs that is my most used telescope, and the little 90mm wide field scope, several mounts and a huge box of various bits and bobs like adaptors digi camera`s a dslr and a dmk, plus a lot of eyepieces. All this gear and so often i find myself wanting to trim it all down to just one scope and one mount

You're not alone Danny.

So far:

Skywatcher 150 on an EQ3, sold to fund 12" dob. Then an EQ4/5 and an 80mm achromat, a 150mm mak and a 127mm achromat which were later sold to buy an HEQ5, a 'spare' canon 1000d, an 8" SC, an 8" f4 newt and an 80mm ED APO. 12" dob sold to fund a 16" (wonder where that came from). 8" SC sold to buy a C9.25. Just started upgrading plossls now to green and black ones (gulp) and will be saving up for CCD and filter wheels later this year.

Various accessories, dew heaters.... Oh and an obsy.......

Guess I'm just playing at it!

Its parr it seems. This year I have been through;

TAL100RS

Celestron 102 Achro

ED100

OO 250 Dob

SW 150p

A full set of X-cel EPs

6 GSO plossls

A 2 inch 32mm GSO plossl

A 2 inch 32mm SW

Several coloured filters

My present signature is just about it, well apart from a TV 2 inch for the frac, not sure which one yet. Open clusters are pants in Newtons

Archived