SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

In memory of SPM

Treeden

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but as the suggestions thread is not public I thought I'd try here first?

I was wondering if we, as a forum, had any plans to mark the passing of Sir Patrick Moore?

There have been one or two calls for some celestial body or event to be named after him. A supernova perhaps, or a comet? Something like this would be nice of course, but I'm not sure how we would go about it? Who would we ask? Would it require a petition raising etc..

I was wondering if we could do something ourselves, something here on the forum perhaps? I would be nice to do something that would act as a permanent memorial to Sir Patrick, something simple that would ensure that as long as people keep coming here he would never be forgotten.

So I thought maybe we could rename the lounge in his honour? Either the "Astro Lounge" here, or "The Lounge" in Non-Astro? That would be a nice way to remember him.

The Sir Patrick Moore Lounge

The SPM Lounge

Something like that perhaps? Does anyone else have any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

Rob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some sort of memorial would be a great idea.

If you were to rename the lounge I'd go for the long version as SPM would not be recognised by people who are not aware of the rename.

Not sure what other ideas to put forward, maybe a rank or an annual forum event?

The Patrick Moore Lounge sounds good.

For the world and the future though, perhaps we should push for the renaming of his Caldwell catalogue (his middle name) to the Moore Catalogue. This would really fix him in his rightful place for ALL future Astronomers. Anyone with influence on Astro Societies, Royal Society, etc

David

Excellent idea about the name change.. and more of a tribute to the man than the pathetic 30 minute only programme the BBC is showing tonight. I find that quite disgusting of them TBH.

The schedules seem confused. In some places it's 30 minutes, in others it's 75 minutes.

James

+1 for the re-naming of the lounge, sounds like a great idea and a fitting memorial to the great man....

(NB. 10.33 to 11.05 in Lancashire, half hour doesn't seem a lot but he did only pass on Sunday so maybe they haven't had time to put together something longer, I shall give them the benefit of the doubt for now)

The Patrick Moore Lounge sounds good.

For the world and the future though, perhaps we should push for the renaming of his Caldwell catalogue (his middle name) to the Moore Catalogue. This would really fix him in his rightful place for ALL future Astronomers. Anyone with influence on Astro Societies, Royal Society, etc

David

Although there's no question of his authority, he named it Caldwell as Messier had already claimed the M object status. We'd have a world of confusion if there were 2 different M31's :rolleyes:

I agree though it would be good for something to be done here, that name change is a bit long winded though, i think the moderators have to consider readability and usability, especially for younger newer visitors; unfortunately there is a generation who don't/won't know who Patrick was.

Maybe a virtual community task or event or something, i think the BBC's 'Moore Winter Marathon' was a good idea, but what happens after that? Or a fundraising *thing* in his name? He was renowned for introducing the sky to new eyes after all.

In regard to the BBC programme length, i hope its long but to be fair to the programmers they've only had a matter of days to put it together. I'm sure they'll be other programmes on after this one, and an extended SAN episode..

But just for a short time how about everyone changing their Avatars to an image of SPM??

Good idea, which I have perverted somewhat since I've gone for an image of his cat and his typewriter since for me that sort of sums him up as much as anything else...

Just a thought, but how about a patition to have a star or a moon crator named/changed in honour. Prob a very long shot, but thinking of all the astronamers & non ones around the world who knew of him if we could get the word out, as a ever lasting tribute to him, am sure people would sign up. I mean, they add/change name for other objects in the night sky, and think how many more people would stop and look up at the night sky to see the 'object' named after Sir Patrick Moore. Just a thought :)

I do also like the idea of the lounge name change.

Great idea.

But just for a short time how about everyone changing their Avatars to an image of SPM??

Good idea, I've gone for a 1969 shot of him wearing a white Stetson hat from the Astronauts Centre at Houston during a visit to Texas.

James

Some kind of tribute would seem fitting i have to agree. Looking forward to the BBC documentary later, always nice to see Sir Patrick on TV and it's about the only thing i switch it on for these days anyway.

Hopefully they re-run every episode of Sky At Night back from when it first began in 1957 to present day. That'll keep us going for another 50+ years!

Just a thought, but how about a patition to have a star or a moon crator named/changed in honour.

I see, according to Wikipedia, that there is a small main belt asteroid named after Sir Patrick; 2602 Moore; which was discovered in 1982. Not sure how visible it would be and given SPM's involvement with the Moon a crater would seem more apt.

James

I agree though it would be good for something to be done here, that name change is a bit long winded though, i think the moderators have to consider readability and usability, especially for younger newer visitors; unfortunately there is a generation who don't/won't know who Patrick was.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think we have a responsibility - if not a duty - to ensure that younger astronomers, and even future astronomers (i.e. those children just being born) know exactly who he was. I'm a massive football fan, and whilst Pele, Maradonna, George Best and the England World Cup winning team were all before my time, my dad and uncles all made sure that I was well schooled in football history and the contributions that these players made to the beautiful game.

Isn't there something we could do on a yearly basis to celebrate his life and his work - maybe on his birthday, or the date of his death? Something like a nationwide stargazing session (much like Stargazing Live, but without the television programme) - having lots of local astronomy clubs or observatory's getting together to organise something? When conditions aren't suitable for viewing, having people share his work and his findings in the form of talks or tutorial sessions to younger, budding astronomers might be a great way to keep is memory alive.

In regard to the BBC programme length, i hope its long but to be fair to the programmers they've only had a matter of days to put it together. I'm sure they'll be other programmes on after this one, and an extended SAN episode..

I heard that the BBC were planning a host of programmes to celebrate his 90th birthday in March 2013, and now these programmes are being revised to celebrate his work. Looking forward to them already.

I'm sure that there will be some sort of tribute worked into the Stargazing Live programmes in January too.

Sorry guys, there is no way that I'm going to agree the rename "The Lounge" after SPM. It is after all the place where we all talk everything NON ASTRO, and generally talk drivel.

Can't see SPM being particularly impressed with the idea :)

Ant

Changing the Avatar pic is a great idea as well. I have decided to go for a shot of him as The Gamesmaster. I was already heavily into astronomy at age 13 when the programme started on channel 4 back in 1992, and I remember being absolutely shocked when he appeared as the Gamesmaster for the first time to issue the first challenge to a contestant.

Just a thought, but how about a patition to have a star or a moon crator named/changed in honour. ....I do also like the idea of the lounge name change.

You clearly have no idea how much Patrick abhorred "Star Naming" companies for taking money from bereaved families for a [inordinately faint] star that would have no official recognition. There has long been a Moore crater on the moon in his honour and asteroid too, if you check. Some of the other ideas are invalid at an official International Astronomical Union [iAU] level - need to get up to speed or keep it 'local' to SGL :cool: .

Sorry guys, there is no way that I'm going to agree the rename "The Lounge" after SPM. It is after all the place where we all talk everything NON ASTRO, and generally talk drivel.

Can't see SPM being particularly impressed with the idea :)

Ant

Fair comment there Ant. Being new I am not fully up to speed on whats wht in here. So without predjudice, just wondered if there is perhaps a better idea that SGL can do to honour then great man. Something not to grand as to be offensive to his personallity! Only a thought, not wishing to be contraversial.... :smiley:

Archived