Hello from Graham in Oxford

gkec

I have had a life long interest in Astronomy. For a while I worked professionally in Astronomy in imaging sensors for the RGO (WHT) and on the Cassini Huygens mission (SSP experiment).

I have had a very modest telescope for a number of years and by a bizarre coincidence I sold an LP record by a band called Andromeda for enough money to buy a decent telescope.

So now I am starting from "first principles". Learning from mistakes and being amazed at how I can photograph a bit of apparently black sky and reveal hidden wonders. I knew they there but doing it yourself is different somehow.

I joined here realising that I could muddle along as usual or maybe I really should ask people that know. In return I think I can make some useful contributions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Well there is certainly a lot of experience and knowledge for you to use to take forward in which ever direction astronomy takes you. A quick glance over on the imaging sections and what is being achieved there with 'modest' equipment is certainly amazing and constantly reminds me of what I can't see with my own scopes! :grin: :grin: imaging, or as it is better known, the 'Dark Art' is certainly very seductive and she is a mistress that will help you spend your money at a moments notice - not that my other half will let me get away with much! :grin: A good reference guide to imaging is a book by Steve Richards' called "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which you can view here. It will tell you what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images which ultimately makes imaging more about fun than frustration. Imaging does have a steep learning curve at the beginning (...as do many other interests) but it soon flattens out and whilst in the imaging sections it is probably worth taking a casual glance at the kit that is listed in members signatures to see generally what people are using to achieve their great images.

As well as the advice on offer within the forum, we now of course have your experience which we can add to the pot so look out for some incoming questions! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Archived