Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 39th Nov

neil phillips

Heres the first of only 3 captures i got on the 30th Nov. I think the collimation has not been as good as it could have been. I reset it, and double checked yesterday. And was pleased to see. very even concentric rings with the cheshire around the secondary, and with the laser in the middle of the primary. I will be shocked if this doesnt at least sharpen things up on the highest powers. if not the lower ones. We shall see. Just waiting for the conditions to see how much the better collimation will help.

8240587172_9597952beb_o.png

Early morning typo lads. should read 30th. wonder what planet in the universe has a 39th day ?

Great shot! Amazing detail. What focal length and what kind of barlow do you have in between?

Hi Carl i am using a Celestron 3x X Cel that i won with Sky at night hotshots mag. With the extra length of the filter wheel and tubes that i use as a guess about f25 i reckon. if it helps heres a short avi compressed to show you the red channel, its nothing special i have had calmer at 11 meters focal length. But i took many thousands of frames cherry picked the good ones, and did video de rotation because of the long capture times. to extract more detail.

red channel 30th nov compressed.zip

These are beautiful indeed. Lovely colour balance and processing Neil.

Did you derotate these ones?

Pete.

Hi Pete yes it was my first experiment with super long captures, 5 min avis RGB so total capture time was about 16 mins or so, crazy before winjupos was on the scene.

If you try vid de rotate, run it through castrator first, as there is a 2 gig limit on winjupos.

If your interested what i actualy did was castrator first. then winjupos de rotation. Then ran through k3 ccd tools ( because i can see the poor frames visually, it also has a difference quality cut like registax has ) i chopped off the worst and created a new avi.

I then went over to PIPP and did another quality sort, killing about another 1000 frames and created a new avi again. Then over to AS/2 and again visually ( like k3 ) killed some more bad frames.

On this i think i went from about 6000 frames ( Pipp stage ) to about 4000 ish or so roughly As/2 killed ?

The original avi was about 9000 frames i then stacked the best 4000. 4500 ?

Of course i could have done all this on one program, either pipp or as/2. But i belive by increasing the quality slowly, it might just make the software more reliably able to quality sort. without losing so many good frames all in one go. Now i cant swear this makes any difference at all.

But the idea is to lose frames slowly and in steps, with the hope that each new quality sort with a different program, actually finds it easier to tell the good from the bad, as the overall quality is increasing as i go along.

I wonder what others think of this idea. am i wasting my time ? I dont check avis like this BTW just a quick run through with AS/2. But avis that i want the best processing, and with many thousands of frames. seems a good idea to me ?

Cheers all

Love the glossy luminance you have on this image Neil, that proper photo look.

Hi Stuart i think i did that by raising the rgb colour channels in analyzer. All equally so say 20 RED 20 GREEN 20 BLUE the numbers will change depending on the dimness of the original images. So its visual time here. A good way is to watch the white clouds, raise the levels untill they burn out, then slowly drop the numbers untill they look controlled. But overal with more dynamics. I remember the days, ( me too ) when we had dim images on here more times than we care to remember. Thankfully we all get better at this. the more we learn and share.

We dont realize we are getting better, untill those thoughts pop up

Archived