SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello From Surrey

Robny

Hello All

Just introducing myself

My name is Rob I'm married, no kids and 35 years old based in Dorking, Surrey and a total beginner. I've had an interest for such a long time, since childhood and owned many "cheap" telescopes (you know the ones). I'm currently reading forums (this being the best) books and websites trying to self study astronomy. Correctly or wrongly I have invested in some gear, just need to get out there and use it now.

I've emailed a couple of clubs in and around my local area waiting to get a reply so my first couple of times out is with some (hopefully) guidance from someone who knows what there doing. I've a pretty good idea, I've been doing LOTS of reading but it's good to have someone there as back up LOL. I purchased a SW Quattro S8 on an HEQ5 Pro mount with a Vixen Plossl 25mm EP and a laser collimator.

I've got my head round the collimation and i understand this would not be a scope recommended for a newb but I like to jump in at the deep end and I have a vested interest in doing imagine (eventually) probably upgrade to HEQ6 before then.

Anyway I started to waffle so what I meant to say was hello :smiley:

Rob

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
welcome Rob to SGL

You mention imaging......welcome to the dark side of empty pockets and a large credit card bill :grin:

Velvet

Thanks for the welcome, yeah I know what I'm letting myself in for (I think). Getting imaging "stuff" after Christmas after what seems a small fortune for what I already have :D

Wife said I have to use what I already have before she releases my funds LOL. I'm a (was) a photographer by trade and studied photogtaphy at uni so it seemed the natural way to go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't apologise for buying a more 'expert' scope as its your money and in my experience, new people starting out are the most in need of decent kit so congratulations on a good setup. Your HEQ5 is a proven piece of kit, especially with the its autoguiding facility which is especially important if in the meantime your setup (imaging rig) needs to be set up at each session. Imaging or as Velvet above rightly calls it, the 'Darkside' comes with a steep learning curve at the beginning (as do many interests) and I would suggest that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richard's "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you all you need to know to produce good consistent images that will best meet your own level of expectations. You can read about the book in more detail here. It looks as if you're off to a good start and I'm sure imaging will be well within your capabilities given your approach to astronomy so far. Look forward to seeing the results - so the pressure is on! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies

James

Hi Rob

In addition to the local Astro Clubs, there's also the SGL Surrey Observers group (you can find us under the Social Groups section). We try to regularly meet up at a local dark sky spot not far from Dorking, although the last few months have been pretty poor cloud wise. It's a friendly bunch, open to all, and no fees :smiley:

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't apologise for buying a more 'expert' scope as its your money and in my experience, new people starting out are the most in need of decent kit so congratulations on a good setup. Your HEQ5 is a proven piece of kit, especially with the its autoguiding facility which is especially important if in the meantime your setup (imaging rig) needs to be set up at each session. Imaging or as Velvet above rightly calls it, the 'Darkside' comes with a steep learning curve at the beginning (as do many interests) and I would suggest that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richard's "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you all you need to know to produce good consistent images that will best meet your own level of expectations. You can read about the book in more detail here. It looks as if you're off to a good start and I'm sure imaging will be well within your capabilities given your approach to astronomy so far. Look forward to seeing the results - so the pressure is on! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies

James

Thanks James

I'm ready for the steep learning curve and look forward to the challenge and HUGELY excited to see what I can see and produce (or not), thanks for the book recommendation - I have placed my order :grin:

Hi Rob

In addition to the local Astro Clubs, there's also the SGL Surrey Observers group (you can find us under the Social Groups section). We try to regularly meet up at a local dark sky spot not far from Dorking, although the last few months have been pretty poor cloud wise. It's a friendly bunch, open to all, and no fees :smiley:

This sounds great and exactly what I'm looking, suppose this question should be posted elsewhere but where do you meet and when is your next meeting?

Archived