Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie needs advise

Evening all

I have finally got around to buying my first scope Heritage 130P dob and i am pleased as punch. I bought it from ebay and looks on first inspection in near perfect condition.

My lack of knowledge is on the eye pieces etc, i have searched the forum and can't find the answer is am looking for :(

The scope come with a x10 Eyepiece and a Proxima Eye piece x8-x24 adjustable so i am looking for some help/advise on what to buy to add to the scope. I am currently bidding on a SW x2 barlow lens 1.25" and looking at a 25mm super plossl, is this correct or is there a set of eye pieces/ lens i should look at?

Also i have noticed on some heritage 130p there is a little "scoop" thing on the front of the scope when its fully extended, I don't have this on mine is this important?

I applogise if the anwer is there and i have just missed it :)

A good 25mm plossl sounds about right. Maybe look at something in the 10-15mm range...but you already have that zoom/adjustable. As for the "scoop", is that a dew shield?

Also, what do you have by way of a finderscope?

Look forward to hearing how you get on with your "first light" :)

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

What i don't want to do i fall in the trap of spending tons of cash on stuff i might not even use, but I will get the 25mm eye piece and the barlow to add to the scopes weapons :)

I really would like to use the scope to take pictures and video using a webcam of the moon/planets/stars. (lots of cheeky cheap ways to do this on youtube)

Is there any eye piece recommended for looking or taking pictures of the sun ?

As Robin has correctly stated, please only use a prescribed solar filter that fits over the front of the scope or if your want to make your own then please use only Baader Solar film for your complete safety which you can read about here. Remember also that you should remove any optical finder that is on your scope as this will deter you from being tempted to use it to position the scope on the sun and will prevent it inadvertently focusing the sun's light on another part of your body when you are viewing the through the main scope. Never be tempted to buy any solar eyepiece or eyepiece filter off the internet (typically seen on Ebay) as they are dangerous to use and will cause damage to your eyes.

Clear skies

James

I think I read somewhere that solar observing with these open truss designs could be troublesome?

The truss area should be shrouded, certainly. Otherwise there's the danger of sunlight hitting the primary mirror from the sides and being focused elsewhere in the OTA where it may cause damage or do harm.

James

Thanks for the advise guys,

I have finally managed to use the new toy tonight and was lucky to have a glimpse of jupiter and i was amazed. I made out the shape and i am sure i see some faint lines but not 100% sure as i don't think i was close enough, I only had limited time as going to work for a loverly 12hr night shift :( I can't wait until the 2x barlow arrives in a few days lol

I am not currently using a finder scope apart from my bins to find the easy stuff and the red dot finder that come with the scope.

If anyone has any spare barlow or lens that would suit a novice feel free to message me and i will buy them :D. The solar viewing lens etc i will buy from someone like FLO as not running the risk of making something that will do not work properly.

Thanks again

hey lyrated! and grats on your 1st scope mate, you learn a lot from your 1st scope as in what you actually want to view/image and then thats when it all starts lol

id say the SW x2 barlow lens 1.25" is a must! they come in so handy as you will find out :)

woo hoo grats on getting some viewing in tonight! its ok for some lol :( wait till you see saturn next year, that was my 1st planet and is truley a wow moment, all to come to you lol jupiter is awsome tho but saturn is with out a doubt my fave ball in our system :D hope your barlow comes tomrorrow, fingers crossed for you, but you know with every piece of new gear comes clouds!!! :( ....like clock work lol

you say you have not got a finder scope, im using my standard one but it is hard as some times i cant even see the recticle where its black and blends in with the dark sky, im also looking at this telrad, there suppose to be amazing and makes life a dream, so many different little bits i want just no funds at the mo.....(note to santa) lol

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

these only come back in stock yesterday and sell out very quick

welcome to the addiction lol and some amazing times ahead learning about our great cosmos :)

hey lyrated! and grats on your 1st scope mate, you learn a lot from your 1st scope as in what you actually want to view/image and then thats when it all starts lol

id say the SW x2 barlow lens 1.25" is a must! they come in so handy as you will find out :)

woo hoo grats on getting some viewing in tonight! its ok for some lol :( wait till you see saturn next year, that was my 1st planet and is truley a wow moment, all to come to you lol jupiter is awsome tho but saturn is with out a doubt my fave ball in our system :D hope your barlow comes tomrorrow, fingers crossed for you, but you know with every piece of new gear comes clouds!!! :( ....like clock work lol

you say you have not got a finder scope, im using my standard one but it is hard as some times i cant even see the recticle where its black and blends in with the dark sky, im also looking at this telrad, there suppose to be amazing and makes life a dream, so many different little bits i want just no funds at the mo.....(note to santa) lol

http://www.firstligh...-astronomy.html

these only come back in stock yesterday and sell out very quick

welcome to the addiction lol and some amazing times ahead learning about our great cosmos :)

Thanks Tingting for the nice comments and i can't wait to get started properly :)

Archived