Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Sussex

dayglowill

Hi,

I used to be quite "into" astronomy as a teenager, particularly (fairly basic) astrophotography, but the interest in photography grew at the expense of the astro side of things. Besides which night time became the time for pubs, clubs and parties :D as it does.

Although I have never stopped looking at the night sky in passing, so to speak, over the last couple of years I have started to take more of an interest again using my birdwatching binoculars and spotting scope.

I am now seriously thinking of getting a proper astronomy scope, no doubt I'll be asking for advice here soon,

as compared to 25 years ago they all seem so much cheaper.

Finally I had a great night last night as I saw Jupiter and it's 4 Galilean moons for the the first time ever, using my spotting scope (a Kowa TS-501 20x50). It showed as a yellowish disc with one dot to the left and three dots to the right, a quick google later and I was able to confirm which moon was which. I also looked for and found M31 with my binoculars, more of a challenge than I expected with the light pollution round here.

All the best,

Will.

Hi. Will, and a warm welcome to you.

You will find SGL a very pleasant site, with lots of good humour, and plenty of answers to any questions you may want to ask.

Funny thing about astronomy, even if a casual early interest fades, it will always draw you back. After all, it is a fact that we are just star stuff every one of us, so there has to be a sense of belonging.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Archived