gedwards

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a big welcome from me too, if you want any help with the astrophotography side of things just shout, i'm sure between us we can be of assistance, or maybe you can assist us!

Dont forget that we have a dedicated section for you to post your images and share them with us. I look forward to seeing some of them :)

Cheers

Tim

Hi Gedwards and welcome to SGL, if you are just starting out into AP, or the dark side as we affectionately call it, then the very first thing you aught to consider purchasing, is a copy of Steve Richards, Making Every Photon Count. This could prevent you buying equipment which would not be suitable, it should also help avoid the many pitfalls which await budding Astro photographers, the book can be obtained direct from FLO, see top of page. There is also a recent booklet publication from the Sky@Night publishers, dealing with the AP that appeared as a series of articles in the magazine, I believe this is available through Smiths :)

John.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would second John's (glowjet) comments above and success as always is about doing the research (....with our help too! :grin:) and taking your time, as they say, "...the stars aren't going anywhere". A quick glance at the imaging section and in particular, member's equipment in their signatures will offer you a good guide as to what everyone has found to work. Consistency is the key and particularly true if you don't have an observatory to set up your imaging rig in and need to set things up from scratch on each session. Imaging solar system objects (moon & planets) can be done using a simple webcam attached to virtually any scope, from which the best 'frames' from your video are selected and stacked on top of each other to construct a final composite image using free software called 'Registax'. Imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such galaxies and nebulae is a little more involved as these objects are no where near as bright as those found in the solar system. This will mean that you will need to track the objects for long periods of time in order to obtain enough 'data' top construct your final image and this in turn will mean you need to get hold of a decent mount to help you perform this function. Steve Richards' book will go into this in a lot of detail and I would argue it is essential reading in order for you to get that comprehensive overview for you to decide how far you want to go. As the old joke about choosing the right kit goes, you don't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived