NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newcomer - Hi everyone

Norteme

Hi

I am completely new to astronomy and have a skywatcher 150p with GOTO. I was so amazed when I got to see Jupiter and 3 of its moons the other night for the first time, that I didn't even notice the cold :-)

I have a question about setting up my Goto correctly. Would somebody be able to suggest which is the best place to ask these sort of questions.

Also some recommendations for a good pair of binoculars that can I can hold would be appreciated- maybe 8x40?

Many thanks

Penny

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The beginners section is right here: http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/183-beginners/ Maybe the equipment forum would be good for both questions? There are a lot of us who would be glad to help get you going with your GOTO.

Sorry to say I have no binos to recommend, but I'll eagerly await answers from others, since I'm getting peckish for a pair myself.

Welcome to SGL, Penny.

As regards the binoculars, I'd ask in the beginners' section and also perhaps have a look at this site which is run by an SGL member. 8x40 seems quite a small aperture to me. I know quite a few people go for 10x50s, but I'm certainly no expert.

James

Hi Penny

Welcome to the SGL.

I use some 10x50 bins for general use and some larger 15x70s for deep sky. I find the 10x50s easier to hand hold for long periods because of their relative lightness when compared to the larger pair.

8x40 would also make a great general pair me thinks :)

Hi Penny and welcome to SGL, we do have a dedicated binocular section and of course you can address your questions in the relevant help sections. Popular hand held bins start at 7x50 with the slightly heavier 10x50 being one of the most used types, roof prism models are normally not recommended. The 50mm objectives will give you a slight advantage over the 40mm range, as they have better light gathering capabilities, I am sure there will be some very helpful suggestions from forum members who have a liking for various models. One of the best ways, however, once you think you have an idea what will suit you, is to venture into your Town or City and visit some camera and binocular shops and try them out first hand, then you can have a search on the various web sites and take advice to see if you can obtain what you want, to match your pocket :)

John.

HI - Thanks for all of your advice.

I will venture into town tomorrow and see if anyone actually has any in stock for me to look at. Or my other option is to take a risk on some 2nd hand ones on ebay etc

Penny

I will venture into town tomorrow and see if anyone actually has any in stock for me to look at. Or my other option is to take a risk on some 2nd hand ones on ebay etc

If you see a pair on ebay then I'm sure you could ask here for an opinion on the before committing yourself to a purchase.

James

Hi Penny,

Welcome to SGL. Lot's of fun to be had on this forum. :)

Regarding your binocular query. Have a look at these:- http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-10x50-sport-series-binoculars-ref-7day10x50?q=binoculars&sl=sl

I've used 3 different pairs of them. They are consistent and give excellent views for the price. At around 750g they easy to hand hold for long periods even for a weed like me.

Baz.

Archived