SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead Nebula

RAC

I got clouded out with this one so there is only 10 subs sadly. May need to add more to it some other time.

10x10min darks @ ISO400

Modded 1000D @ -2 degC

Canon 400mm F5.6L @ f5.6

Celestron CGE mount.

CLSccd clip in filter.

Stacked in DSS and processed in PixIsight.

8184455108_f06f22a861_b.jpg

Horsehead Nebula by meg rac, on Flickr

And a crop

8184462472_a8983e0273_b.jpg

Horsehead Nebula crop by meg rac, on Flickr

"Who needs a telescope" when you can do wide field images like that with a simple DSLR lens :)

Fully inspired after seeing such a wonderful image, I had a look at the price of a Canon 400mm f5.6L. That will set you back about £900 so I wouldn't call it 'a simple lens' after that!

Fully inspired after seeing such a wonderful image, I had a look at the price of a Canon 400mm f5.6L. That will set you back about £900 so I wouldn't call it 'a simple lens' after that!

Indeed, luckily i managed to pick up mine for a steal at £700 shipped from Hong Kong and they even paid the import tax. Now that was when ebay was still a place for sane people.

How would you find the Horsehead Nebula in a reflecting telescope?

It's just below the left hand belt star (the brightest star in the above images). But don't bother wasting your time since at least a 16" scope is needed to barely detect it visually. Not knowing this, I spent many years trying to view it with a 250mm reflector on very dark, transparent nights and failed :huh: I think they should have named it the "seahorse nebula" :grin:

Archived