new boy with a problem

bronzewater4

HELLO FROM Coventry UK

Having dificulty using this siite ( too many abbrevations and words i dont understand ) but still trying

One question if anybody can help , I've ordered a Celestron C8-sgt on a goto EQ mount . Shoulsd arrive soon .

I have a problem with a tree next door blocking the pole star out , theres no way they will even trim it or chop a little of the top ,

so will i be able to track the planets using the 2 star alignment , i would like to take a few shots with a webcam and a 40d canon camera

Roger

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

I'd have thought two-star alignment would be fine for visual use. An awful lot of people using EQ mounts visually just roughly point them north and get on with it, tweaking the controls every so often to keep the target in view, so you should do fine.

If you get stuck with abbreviations, just ask, or there's a glossary here.

James

Welcome.

I don't have your mount but I'm sure there is an all star alignment feature on Celestron mounts that should allow good polar alignment.

Get the north leg of the mount pointing as close to North as possible, do the alignment routine and mark the patio/grass so in future you can plonk the mount down in the right place making the alignment easier in future.

Hi Roger,

I have a C8 XLT on a CG5 Advanced GT mount and I rarely do a polar alignment as light pollution is so bad to the north of me it makes it really difficult.

I align the mount as best I can to the north using a compass and then do a two star alignment with at least one calibration star also. Works fine for me and I have taken a few videos with a web cam and stacked them with reasonable results.

Have a look at my gallery - I think you can find it from my profile.

HTH - hope that helps.

Archived