Classifies section?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need 50 posts and to have been a member for a month.

Looks like Belle has just passed the magic number, suspect that means she will be buying everything now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Take that back, Belle still has 10 days to wait, 51 posts in 20 days.

You need 50 posts and to have been a member for a month.

Looks like Belle has just passed the magic number, suspect that means she will be buying everything now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Take that back, Belle still has 10 days to wait, 51 posts in 20 days.

Belle will not be buying anything. Belle is broke. This is one expensive hobby!!

Belle will not be buying anything. Belle is broke. This is one expensive hobby!!

It sure as hell is. However...............if you buy the correct scope for your needs in the beginning you can save a lot of cash in the long term. Having said that though................aperture fever gets to all of us and we end up spending anyway.

Forget the scope, its the little accessories that you continue to buy afterwards that really add up:

A filter here, a dew heater there and everything else in between.

Its as if your wallet has a constant leaking drip.

We all know that feeling, I thought I end up spending the high end of £xx, I've actually spent ~3 to 4 times that, so it's now £xxx. Astrophotography makes it into £xxxx by the way, probably not all that far from half way to £xxxxx.

If you can't access the Classifieds, there is always http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/ :)

I can't seem to find the SGL Classified section on the forum? Is there one still?

I'm hunting a Philips SPC900 - yeah I know they're like hens teeth.....but still I keep looking.

This is the formal position on the Classified section as outlined in the Code of Conduct

The Buy & Sell section

Access to SGL's buy and sell section is a privilege that has to be earned, You can do this by accumulating 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds and 250 posts to place an advert in the classifieds.

This has been initiated so that people can't just join the forum so they can off load or buy up astronomy equipment.

Posting an advert on behalf of someone who is not a member of SGL or on behalf of a member not entitled to post an advert is not permitted.

Linking to an external site to highlight an item you have for sale is not permitted on our boards.

Please note that the Buy & Sell section is for our members personal "astronomical" equipment.

Any commercial use of this section will have to be cleared by Admin PRIOR to any sales activity.

Hope that helps

Forget the scope, its the little accessories that you continue to buy afterwards that really add up:

For sure. It's the 15 quid minimum a time for some adapter or another that I squeak at... and I have dozens!

This is the formal position on the Classified section as outlined in the Code of Conduct

The Buy & Sell section

Access to SGL's buy and sell section is a privilege that has to be earned, You can do this by accumulating 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds and 250 posts to place an advert in the classifieds.

This has been initiated so that people can't just join the forum so they can off load or buy up astronomy equipment.

Posting an advert on behalf of someone who is not a member of SGL or on behalf of a member not entitled to post an advert is not permitted.

Linking to an external site to highlight an item you have for sale is not permitted on our boards.

Please note that the Buy & Sell section is for our members personal "astronomical" equipment.

Any commercial use of this section will have to be cleared by Admin PRIOR to any sales activity.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the help, there had to be a logical reason for it!

Its worth while putting in the effort to get up to 250 posts, I'm still on the way to this figure and have relied on ABS for most of my stuff to date (only ever bought 1 brand new scope)

But doesn't it just encourage a lot of low content posts (like this reply)?

Just wait until you get access and start seeing things you could do with.

Amazing what you can collect over time from the classifieds (eyepieces, never can have enough eyepieces :eek: )

But doesn't it just encourage a lot of low content posts (like this reply)?

+1

54 posts now.

On a serious note though, I agree with others, it's not the cost of the initial scope so much as all the other bits. My scope was a birthday present but I've spent twice its value on extra lenses, filters etc. And from everything I've read on here, the possibilities for emptying my bank account are endless!

However...............if you buy the correct scope for your needs in the beginning you can save a lot of cash in the long term.

But how many of us do that? At the beginning we often do not know what the correct scope is, or even if astronomy is for us!!. My first scope was the Bresser 70mm that LIDL were selling with a Astro-3 mount. An amazing buy at €79. When I saw Saturn the first time it just blew me away. Some better eyepieces improved it a lot - I sold it and bought a 4SE (regretted selling it ever since - actually I traded it for some building work - the builder´s 10yo son was interested, so it went to a good cause). Then I got a better quality refractor - Stellarvue 102ED - bank balance was suffering a bit by now. And aperture fever was starting to bite - so the 4SE went and was replaced by a 8" Newt. And a bigger mount was acquired - and a little grab´ngo for Astronomy group viewing evenings.

So I guess I have done it all dead wrong - but learnt a lot and had a lot of fun. And still will . God willing.

My scope was a birthday present but I've spent twice its value on extra lenses, filters etc. And from everything I've read on here, the possibilities for emptying my bank account are endless!

But when you sell your first scope you will keep all the extra eps, filters etc for its replacement. But you can guarantee that your second scope will cost a LOT more!!

Tone2012, the best way to learn more about the hobby, is by simply reading through the thread, and asking questions. I only know what i know from the people on here that have helped me over the years. And what ever you do, dont jump in and start buying stuff. If you have any questions about anything, even if you think you'll sound silly, just ask it. Thats how we all learn :)

Keiran

i cant wait to see whats on sale, being new to this, its hard talking about it as i dont know much, but i will do me best ha ha

Meanwhile it's well worth keeping an eye on the UK Astro Buy & Sell website. To be honest it carries more adverts than our classifieds section and many folks post their stuff there as well as here:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

I'm not being disloyal to this forums classifieds but they are only a very small part of what SGL is about.

Archived